Newbie advice: Petrol or Diesel?

Old August 19th 03, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
sPoNiX

Default Newbie advice: Petrol or Diesel?

Hi

Another bit of advice needed: Petrol or Diesel?

Diesel is obviously more economic and the engines last longer but have
been advised against diesel as during hot weather the fuel tends to
evaporate and cause the motorhome to smell all diesely..

Is it true that diesel motorhomes should be avoided?

I'd have thought petrol would evaporate more during hot weather?

sPoNiX
Old August 19th 03, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Mike Williams

"sPoNiX" wrote in message

Diesel is obviously more economic and the engines last longer
but have been advised against diesel as during hot weather the
fuel tends to evaporate and cause the motorhome to smell . . .

Whoever told you that is talking through the wrong orifice! Any diesel
engine that smells of diesel has a leak! Simple as that. Fix the leak and
you fix the smell. Exactly the same goes for petrol engines, which also
smell if they have a leak.

Whether you go for diesel or petrol is a personal choice, as they both have
their advantages and disadvantages. One thing I would say though is that is
you decide on a diesel then make sure that you get a turbo diesel. Naturally
aspirated diesels just don't have the "clout" that you need.

I have a diesel engined motor home and I have driven diesel engines cars
(private hire taxis) for the last twenty years. I used to keep the cars for
about four years before I had to change them (due to local Council
regulations regarding the age of taxi vehciles). I used to go to work at 6
pm and return at 4 in the morning and at the weekends the engine never got
turned off even once during that ten hour period. I did that four days a
week almost every week for four years, and at the end of the four year
period the engine was still sound and had lots of mileage left in it.

Get a diesel!

Mike

Old August 20th 03, 06:13 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
CampinGazz

"gill107" wrote in message

Our reasons for wanting petrol were that we could have had a gas

conversion
for economy and in so doing could have had a system which allowed the
internal gas applances to pull from the same bulk tank.
This would be a great advantage to us for our 4 to 6 weeks continental
touring. Autogas seems to be readily available and when touring Spain for
instance where acquiring bottled gas for the habitation end can be a

problem
we could have the benefit of the full gas tank brought in from France

while
we ran the engine on petrol.

i take it you are still going to fit a lpg tank anyway?
a vapour only tank should be cheaper than a liquid and vapour take off tank,
my 30 litre tank cost me 4 euro's to fill in luxembourg, with autogas, i
never bothered filling with domestic gas yet, it saves about 20p a litre
over here, but even at autogas prices, its more than half the price of calor
gas.

You could always add a lpg fumigation kit to the diesel engine, cant see the
point my self, it gives more power, and more economy.. but your still
burning 2 fuels at once, so the costs work out about the same at hte end of
the day.

Old August 20th 03, 08:04 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
gill107

"CampinGazz" wrote in message

i take it you are still going to fit a lpg tank anyway?
a vapour only tank should be cheaper than a liquid and vapour take off

tank,
my 30 litre tank cost me 4 euro's to fill in luxembourg, with autogas, i
never bothered filling with domestic gas yet, it saves about 20p a litre
over here, but even at autogas prices, its more than half the price of

calor
gas.

You could always add a lpg fumigation kit to the diesel engine, cant see

the
point my self, it gives more power, and more economy.. but your still
burning 2 fuels at once, so the costs work out about the same at hte end

of
the day.

We've asked around and it seemed to us that unless you can get the savings
in both the engine and habitation compartments it isn't worth doing.
On the amount of gas we use for the domestic side it is going to take an
awful long time to recover the fitting costs of an lpg tank for that alone.
We've opted for carrying a couple of Camping Gaz bottles as well as our 2x
6kg Calor to give us some flexibility.

Gillian