Motorcaravan newbies

Old August 22nd 03, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
John Cartmell

Default Motorcaravan newbies

We're picking up our first motorcaravan (N-reg Auto-Trail Cheyenne) this
weekend. Of course we'll get used to it in time but does anyone have
advice on what to do/avoid/not forget in that timespan between taking
possession of the keys and finally achieving confidence in owning/driving
the vehicle?

[and thanks to [email protected] for guiding us to this ng ;-) ]

--
John Cartmell FAX +44 (0)8700-519-527
Acorn Publisher magazine & FD Games
Old August 22nd 03, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Ralph

It's not a bad idea to spend the first night on your own driveway so that
you can keep nipping back indoors for things you forgot.
And if the first trip is to somewhere close to home for the same reason.
Having given that good advice I must admit I haven't followed it myself.

You will forget to carry things, problems will occur but that's what it's
all about. The hardest thing is getting your first van and now you've done
that and seen your bank account shrink it's all easy.
Have a great time with your new toy. I'm sure you won't regret it. Welcome
to motorhoming.

Old August 22nd 03, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Geoff Lane

"Nomad" wrote in news:tAr1b.1050$qk1.308048
@newsfep2-gui.server.ntli.net:

Go through it each time before driving off, believe me you will forget
something.

I'll second that, having seen a classic case leaving Byslades in Paignton
last Saturday. It was an A-class Hymer, W-reg (first time around, i.e.
suffix). They drove off the site with the step sticking out nearly 18".
Being as it was a left-hand-drive van, the step was sticking out on the
side of on-coming vehicles.

I tried to warn them but failed. I can only hope that they realized the
problem before it became an accident.

--
Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK