Radio

Old August 31st 03, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Graham Sammons

Default Radio

I recently changed my Motor Caravan to a Bessacarr the radio switches its
self off when we is parked up. Reading the radio instructions it would
appear this is a safety feature to stop the battery being run down.

To avoid this happening it tells me to leave the ignition at the A point
but I am worried this might put an even bigger pull on the battery or even
burn out the ignition out.

Any help appreciated

Graham

Old September 2nd 03, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
One-Pot Workhorse

Surely the "A" point is the "Auxhillary" point rather that the "ignition on"
point on the ignition switch??
Leaving switch in this position, IF THIS IS THE CASE, would not have any
detrimental effect on the ignition circuits and the battery would only "run
down" if auxhillary appliances are actually switched on..............
Dunno how old your units are, but a lot of radios now have the facility to
switch on with the keys out altogether..... TRY pressing the "on/off" radio
switch with the keys out...... and it MAY come on with a "1hr to auto off"
setting (if the radio is not the original factory fit tho, it may need an
extra wire from the +12v....)
iain

Old September 2nd 03, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Paul Jerome

"One-Pot Workhorse" wrote in message
.. .
Surely the "A" point is the "Auxhillary" point rather that the "ignition

on"
point on the ignition switch??
Leaving switch in this position, IF THIS IS THE CASE, would not have any
detrimental effect on the ignition circuits and the battery would only

"run
down" if auxhillary appliances are actually switched on..............
Dunno how old your units are, but a lot of radios now have the facility to
switch on with the keys out altogether..... TRY pressing the "on/off"

radio
switch with the keys out...... and it MAY come on with a "1hr to auto off"
setting (if the radio is not the original factory fit tho, it may need an
extra wire from the +12v....)
iain

Most radios now have an extra wire from the 12V, to keep their memories when
the ignition is turned off.

Paul Jerome

Old September 7th 03, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Gerry Davey

Graham,

This is common on all Ducato/Boxers, the cure is to swap the wires into the
plug so that the live which feeds the memory is also used for power. Now you
can have the radio on whenever you wish but you have to switch it manually
all the time.

Gerry

Old September 8th 03, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Dave Smith

I would think that you will find most vehicles, including cars, do the same
nowadays. The 'A' on your ignition switch means 'Accessories' and is there
to permit you to use certain electrical devices such as the radio (and
cigarette lighter?) but not energise your ignition system. If you turn it
to the 'A' I would think that the ignition dashboard lights do not
illuminate until the switch is turned to the next position.
Dave