'Van Insurance

« - | - »

Old October 27th 03, 01:24 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul King

Default 'Van Insurance

Forgetting about the why's and wherefore's of the "good" of having 'van
insurance as regards loss etc....... is it required BY LAW to have it in
order to tow etc. Accepting that if there's an accident involving the 'van
it won't be covered. I'm not interested in the why's and if's, is it
required BY LAW?

---

Old October 27th 03, 05:35 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bowtiejim

"Paul King" wrote in message
Forgetting about the why's and wherefore's of the "good" of having 'van
insurance as regards loss etc....... is it required BY LAW to have it in
order to tow etc. Accepting that if there's an accident involving the 'van
it won't be covered. I'm not interested in the why's and if's, is it
required BY LAW?

---

I believe third party liability cover is included within your normal car
policy for free subject to you informing the insurers, but this would only
be while the van was being towed along the public highway which makes me
think there is probably a legal requirement for it.

If the van caught fire and exploded on site or simply rolled down a bank
into another van causing injury to others and their property you would need
to check whether third party liability cover for these events was included
in your household policy. I don't believe there is a legal requirement for
this cover but you would be stupid not to have it.

Old October 27th 03, 07:49 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart

It used to be that the car 3rd party cover only extended to the caravan when
it was hitched up. Equally I was told that a "dodgy" insurer would insist
that if you had an accident on the motorway and the van became detached, any
damage done after the "detachment" was not covered.

Stewart

..

Old October 27th 03, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 01:24:28 -0000, "Paul King"
wrote:

is it required BY LAW to have it in
order to tow etc. Accepting that if there's an accident involving the 'van
it won't be covered.

Providing you have informed your insurers that you tow a trailer then
whenever the trailer is connected to your car then the cars insurers
are responsible for the third party risks. In fact they would be
responsible whether you informed them or not, but they just might
claim against you to recover their loss if you do not inform them.

(remove the spam to reply)

« - | - »