Overheight vehicle with P&O

Old October 27th 03, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
HarryBurr1

Default Overheight vehicle with P&O

A friend has just booked Dover to Calais with his outfit. A Buccaneer twin axle
and Range Rover. He tried to get the cheap ferry offer but was told he would
have to pay more for his car as it was overheight. However he tried to argue
that although he didn't disagree about the car he was still a lot lower than
the height of the caravan and surely this should be the governing factor. Not
so. According to P&O if he had to unhitch his caravan for any reason on the
ferry then the car would become solo and was over height. Another way of
extracting money for nothing. I've told him to phone back and say that if he
doesn't unhitch then can he have this charge reimbursed.
Any 4X4 drivers had this problem.

harryB
Old October 27th 03, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
klyne

--
"HarryBurr1" wrote in message
[...]

I have just been onto the Caravan Club web site and pretended to book a
crossing for a car in excess of 1.83 metres high, you only have a choice
under or over and it came up with exactly same fee as I paid a couple of
days ago for a more conventionally sized outfit. Perhaps he needs to book
via the CC?

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk
site reports

Old October 27th 03, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Brian West

I have a Toyota Landcruiser VX (which is either higher or the same
height as a Range Rover) and I always say it's under 1.83 mtrs. Up till
now no one has said anything. I do this even when just going over with
car only.

In message , HarryBurr1
writes
A friend has just booked Dover to Calais with his outfit. A Buccaneer twin axle
and Range Rover. He tried to get the cheap ferry offer but was told he would
have to pay more for his car as it was overheight. However he tried to argue
that although he didn't disagree about the car he was still a lot lower than
the height of the caravan and surely this should be the governing factor. Not
so. According to P&O if he had to unhitch his caravan for any reason on the
ferry then the car would become solo and was over height. Another way of
extracting money for nothing. I've told him to phone back and say that if he
doesn't unhitch then can he have this charge reimbursed.
Any 4X4 drivers had this problem.

harryB

Bezalbub

Old October 27th 03, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Al Stevenson

I've just booked for my Disco with roof rack (2.20m) and no problem -
this was by phone rather than on the web. They ask you the make and
model of your vehicle and this must automatically tell them the height.

I have had exactly the same result when travelling solo.

Next visit in Jan/Feb when I really test them - out solo, back with my
new Hobby in tow! I will report back idc

In message , HarryBurr1
writes
A friend has just booked Dover to Calais with his outfit. A Buccaneer twin axle
and Range Rover. He tried to get the cheap ferry offer but was told he would
have to pay more for his car as it was overheight. However he tried to argue
that although he didn't disagree about the car he was still a lot lower than
the height of the caravan and surely this should be the governing factor. Not
so. According to P&O if he had to unhitch his caravan for any reason on the
ferry then the car would become solo and was over height. Another way of
extracting money for nothing. I've told him to phone back and say that if he
doesn't unhitch then can he have this charge reimbursed.
Any 4X4 drivers had this problem.

harryB

--
Al Stevenson
This spam trap e-mail address is valid for only
until the 14th of next month!

Old October 27th 03, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Sigmund

"Al Stevenson" wrote in message
I've just booked for my Disco with roof rack (2.20m) and no problem -
this was by phone rather than on the web. They ask you the make and
model of your vehicle and this must automatically tell them the height.

No problems with height here but when we went to France I had to pay extra,
when booking, because our rig was a foot over length. Nobody ever checked
this and, next time I go, I'll just lie to them. If they do check I'll just
say I must have measured it wrong and pay the surcharge.

Old October 27th 03, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Skip

For the last two years I have taken our Nissan Terrano with bikes on the
roof. They were in fact higher than the caravan, for no extra charge. The
first year I was prepared to take the bikes down off the roof for the
crossing if head room on the ferry looked tight but there was oceans of
space.

Old October 27th 03, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
HarryBurr1

In article , "klyne"
writes:

Perhaps he needs to book
via the CC?

David,
He did book with the CC but used the phone. Perhaps he spoke to an over zealous
booking clerk.
As for the other replies. It seems he is a victim of his own honesty. In all
the times I've queued on a ferry port I've never seen anybody's outfit checked
for size. Either in height or length.

harryB
Old October 28th 03, 05:38 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bowtiejim

"Skip" wrote in message
For the last two years I have taken our Nissan Terrano with bikes on the
roof. They were in fact higher than the caravan, for no extra charge. The
first year I was prepared to take the bikes down off the roof for the
crossing if head room on the ferry looked tight but there was oceans of
space.

I think if you have booked not stating your car is over 1.83 you could be
directed by the reception clerk to the lanes which feed the "attic deck"
where headroom is severely restricted. This would only occur at peak times
when the ships are fully booked. P&O might justifiably say that as you had
not stated your car's correct height, they should not be held responsible
for the damage done to it!

Old October 28th 03, 07:46 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Brian West

In message , bowtiejim
writes

"Skip" wrote in message
For the last two years I have taken our Nissan Terrano with bikes on the
roof. They were in fact higher than the caravan, for no extra charge. The
first year I was prepared to take the bikes down off the roof for the
crossing if head room on the ferry looked tight but there was oceans of
space.

I think if you have booked not stating your car is over 1.83 you could be
directed by the reception clerk to the lanes which feed the "attic deck"
where headroom is severely restricted. This would only occur at peak times
when the ships are fully booked. P&O might justifiably say that as you had
not stated your car's correct height, they should not be held responsible
for the damage done to it!

Even the attic decks have ample room for Range Rover sized vehicles. I
know I have been on one with the Landcruiser.
Bezalbub

Old October 28th 03, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

Even the attic decks have ample room for Range Rover sized vehicles. I
know I have been on one with the Landcruiser.

As we are towing caravans most of which are well over 2.5metres high, what's
the issue with the ferry companies? (other than ripoff Britain).
We are directed to the deck with trucks and buses anyway so when we make a
booking for 'caravan' the height of the tow vehicle should be immaterial.
DaveK.