To Morocco in winter - advice needed

« Dolly | merc 308 »

Old September 16th 03, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Les Rose

Default To Morocco in winter - advice needed

Planning to drive down through France and Spain mid-December. Most campsites
will be closed. Does anyone know where I can get a list of overnight
motorhome stops in these countries and Morocco of course?
What's the situation re replenishing gas? Presumably no Calor but I can
change to Campingaz if necessary.

Old September 17th 03, 12:46 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy Clarke

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 11:28:14 +0100, Les Rose wrote:

Planning to drive down through France and Spain mid-December. Most campsites
will be closed. Does anyone know where I can get a list of overnight
motorhome stops in these countries and Morocco of course?
What's the situation re replenishing gas? Presumably no Calor but I can
change to Campingaz if necessary.

Some useful info at: www.motorhome-list.org.uk/travel.htm

The aire at Ste.-Maure-de-Touraine is a useful stop about half way down
France - south of Tours on the N10, we've used it twice, it's signed off
the main road through the town.

Which way are you going through Spain? Last time we went down the middle:
N1/A15 from San Sebastian to Irurtzun then N1 to Burgos. Then E5. We
stayed on the service areas with no problems.

--
Andy Clarke

www.UKMotorhomes.net - The UK Motorhome Website - articles, free classifieds, etc
Old September 17th 03, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Les Rose

"Andy Clarke" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks. We got a route from the RAC site which sends us down the western
side of France to San Sebastian, then across the middle of Spain via Madrid.
This was said to be shortest.

Old September 17th 03, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy Clarke

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 11:13:00 +0100, Les Rose wrote:

"Andy Clarke" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

It's possible that you may have trouble with snow at a couple of places
on the route through central Spain, the first at the Puerto de Somosierre
(Alt.1440metres) between Burgos and Madrid. The other place you could get
delayed is through the Gorges south of Valdepenas. The Spanish are pretty
good at clearing the main routes apparently, but last time we went this
way (early January 2002) it was clear and bright with no sign of snow.

Be prepared for the cold though, we had -12C in central France and around
-6C in central Spain at night!

Good luck - wish we were going this winter.......