Seat / Lap Belts - Swift 590 RL

Old September 19th 03, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Jon R

Default Seat / Lap Belts - Swift 590 RL

Does anyone have experience of fitting seat/lap belts to the rear of
any of the Swift range, I have been told it is ok to take the load
directly to the floor as long as the plates underneath are large
enough, does anyone have any views on this ? I have two 6 year olds so
your advice would be of great help.
Old September 19th 03, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy R

"Jon R" wrote in message
m...
Does anyone have experience of fitting seat/lap belts to the rear of
any of the Swift range, I have been told it is ok to take the load
directly to the floor as long as the plates underneath are large
enough, does anyone have any views on this ? I have two 6 year olds so
your advice would be of great help.

I've not seen the Swift but my Hymer's got rear belts and I've got two
young boys who sit in the rear seats, so here's my thoughts (fwiw).
1. Go for the three point harness, a lap belt is better than nothing but
nowhere near as good as a belt with a shoulder harness.
2. Is there some form of lateral seat support? It's hard enough getting six
year olds to wear belts properly in cars, IME it's next to impossible to
keep them in them for long on a bench type seat.
3. If poss think about having them facing backwards, the most likely heavy
deceleration is forwards and IMHO it's got to be better being decelerated by
a padded seat back than by a badly fitting/loose seatbelt.
4. Apparently a 9g deceleration is roughly the limit of surviveability so
your belts need to be able to take a forward load of about 9 times the mass
of the largest anticipated occupant.

Rgds

Andy R