Zig Units & 12v Fridge Supply

Old September 20th 03, 01:22 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
steve

Default Zig Units & 12v Fridge Supply

When I fiited a Zig CF2000 (same as cf9) to my van I wondered why it was
neccesary to wire the 12v for the fridge through it. When my fridge stopped
working last week I wondered the same again. I bypassed the Zig and the
fridge is working perfectly.
Can anyone explain why the Fridge should be run through Zig. I thought
it may have been to disconnect the 12v when the 240v Fridge/Charge switch
was on but when I originally fitted the unit and tested the theory the
fridge 12v was always connected.

Steve

Old September 24th 03, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Mike

"steve" wrote in message
When I fiited a Zig CF2000 (same as cf9) to my van I wondered why it was
neccesary to wire the 12v for the fridge through it. When my fridge

stopped
working last week I wondered the same again. I bypassed the Zig and the
fridge is working perfectly.
Can anyone explain why the Fridge should be run through Zig. I thought
it may have been to disconnect the 12v when the 240v Fridge/Charge switch
was on but when I originally fitted the unit and tested the theory the
fridge 12v was always connected.

Steve
The fridge should be powered by your cars elecrtics,only when the engine

is running via a relay which will only connect this 12 volts power to the
fridge if the ignition switch is on. When on mains electrics on a site the
power to run a fridge is mains 240volts.
So to recap the fridge run on 12 volts from your car. It can runs on
240volts a/c from the mains and of course it also can run on gas. The 12
volts your refering to is the spark ignition which is used to light the gas
when starting up in gas useage mode. Aso all the 12 volts such as lights and
pump and spark ignition to start the fridge in gas mode can be supplied from
the charger when on eletrics and your batter is flat. so the fridge is
always connected in gas mode to the 12 volt supply to ignite the gas not to
run it.
Mike

Old September 25th 03, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
steveC

The wiring diagram shows that the 12v supply for the fridge is first wired
through the split relay then runs to the zig then out to supply the fridge..

Steve

Old September 25th 03, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Mike

"steveC" wrote in message
The wiring diagram shows that the 12v supply for the fridge is first wired
through the split relay then runs to the zig then out to supply the

fridge..

Steve,

Interesting I wonder why? It would make sence to wire it direct from car
split relay to the fridge direct. But the zig unit could I suppose, seeing
as it can supply all the 12 volt appliances such as lights and ingition,
supply 12 to run the fridge. But why do that when you can run the fridge on
the mains unless one has a fridge that can't run on mains but can run on gas
and 12volts.
Have you tried talking to zig it may help.
Mike

Old September 25th 03, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
steveC

The Mind Boggles Mike

I will ask Zig. see if i can get any sense from them.

Steve