toyota hiace?

Old September 29th 03, 12:26 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Derek[_2_]

Default toyota hiace?

Hi,

I'm looking at buying a 86 2L 5sp manual rear-wheel-drive Toyota Hiace for
short-term camping/fishing recreational purposes. It's quite old and done
400+ clicks but is in good condition with a recently new reconditioned
engine put in. It currently doesn't have a towbar attached but I'm looking
at getting one put on.

Does anyone out there know,
* How much a towbar would cost to buy and install?
* What the towing capacity of it is?
* Wether towing say a 15ft boat is a good idea for a van this old,
considering I don't want it dying in the ass in 2 years time?

Any knowledge/experience/comments about Toyota Hiace's much appreciated.
Going to buy this week.

Cheers
Derek

Old September 29th 03, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Paul Jerome[_3_]

"Derek" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm looking at buying a 86 2L 5sp manual rear-wheel-drive Toyota Hiace for
short-term camping/fishing recreational purposes. It's quite old and done
400+ clicks but is in good condition with a recently new reconditioned
engine put in. It currently doesn't have a towbar attached but I'm looking
at getting one put on.

Does anyone out there know,
* How much a towbar would cost to buy and install?
* What the towing capacity of it is?
* Wether towing say a 15ft boat is a good idea for a van this old,
considering I don't want it dying in the ass in 2 years time?

Any knowledge/experience/comments about Toyota Hiace's much appreciated.
Going to buy this week.

Cheers
Derek

Our first motorcaravan was a Toyota Hiace (Y reg), and it was an excellent
van. I can't comment about towing, as I only used a small one once when we
moved house. The van didn't seem to notice it.

The van had been round the clock once, but was always reliable. We only got
rid of it because of woodwork problems in the enormous expanding spacemaker
roof, and the desire for a toilet

Paul

Old October 7th 03, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.rec.motorcaravans
riccip

"Derek" wrote:

* How much a towbar would cost to buy and install?

You'll get the towbar for a tenner from a breaker's and around 50
ukp to fit properly.

* What the towing capacity of it is?

1700kg (I think). Plenty enough for your boat and they tow very
nicely.

* Wether towing say a 15ft boat is a good idea for a van this old,
considering I don't want it dying in the ass in 2 years time?

If the engine is in good nick go for it. They'll stand the
mileage but it's the cooling systems you have to watch with these
Hiace oldies. Regular flushing every 10k miles keeps them fit.
Cheap spares no probs new or used. With plenty of Waxoiling they
go on forever. Toyota got these right from day one. Great little
vans.