Off Topic - Newsgroup Postings

Old October 1st 03, 09:11 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
John Cartmell

Default Off Topic - Newsgroup Postings

In article , David Westerman
wrote:
I find that messages on uk.rec.motorcaravans are removed after only
seven days although Outlook Express is set to save them for 21 days. The
other newsgroup I read does save them for 21 days.

Does everybody else find that their messages are removed after 7 days or
do I have a problem with my settings?

I don't need an answer from some PC geek telling me not to use Outlook
Express, thank you very much :-)

I'm certainly not a PC geek but can I suggest that you scrap Microsoft
products altogether? ;-)

Are there overall *and* individual settings that are conflicting?

--
John Cartmell FAX +44 (0)8700-519-527
Acorn Publisher magazine & FD Games
Old October 1st 03, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
David Westerman

"John Cartmell" wrote in message
Snipped
I'm certainly not a PC geek but can I suggest that you scrap Microsoft
products altogether? ;-)

Are there overall *and* individual settings that are conflicting?

--
John Cartmell FAX +44 (0)8700-519-527
Acorn Publisher magazine & FD Games
www.acornpublisher.com

Thanks for that. I've just added a different news server
(news.individual.net) and now everything is working fine (even using
Microsoft products!). I suspect that the cause of my problems has been
One.Tel's rubbish news server.

David Westerman

Old October 1st 03, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
John Cartmell

In article ,
David Westerman wrote:

"John Cartmell" wrote in message
Snipped
I'm certainly not a PC geek but can I suggest that you scrap Microsoft
products altogether? ;-)

Are there overall *and* individual settings that are conflicting?

[Snip]

Thanks for that. I've just added a different news server
(news.individual.net) and now everything is working fine (even using
Microsoft products!). I suspect that the cause of my problems has been
One.Tel's rubbish news server.

[Snip]

I was going to suggest that but I understood this was postings disappearing
*after* you had downloaded them. You'll certainly find that different ISPs
keep ngs available for different lengths of time but 7 days is ridiculously
short - I'd have expected at least that for the troublesome binary ngs -
and u.r.m/c is probably one of the least troublesome.

Old October 1st 03, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Niall

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 10:11:33 +0100, John Cartmell
wrote:

I'm certainly not a PC geek but can I suggest that you scrap Microsoft
products altogether? ;-)

OK, I'll bite- what do you suggest we should use instead?

--
Niall

Old October 1st 03, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Helgina Koosmaen

Niall wrote in news:[email protected]
4ax.com:

OK, I'll bite- what do you suggest we should use instead?

X-news is good and easy to use - had it on my machines since I ditched
Outlook Express.

Helly.
Old October 1st 03, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
John Cartmell

wrote:

I'm certainly not a PC geek but can I suggest that you scrap Microsoft
products altogether? ;-)

OK, I'll bite- what do you suggest we should use instead?

Well I don't use them - nor PC machines. At the moment Im using a StrongARM
(processor) RiscPC machine; designed and made in the UK and running RISC OS
4.02 operating system. Earlier tonight I was giving a talk about board game
design using an IYONIX pc with an XScale style processor running RISC OS 5.

Other alternatives are Apple machines and OS or Linux on a standard PC.

There can be many advantages (and some disadvantages) to considering
alternative systems. eg this RiscPC is about 8 years old (it's had more
memory, bigger hard drive and a new processor and OS slotted in). It still
allows me to produce a high quality, A4 colour magazine for commercial
printing and sale; that's the equivalent of upgrading a 486 PC that
originally ran Windows 3.1. On the Windows route I'd have had to upgrade at
least three times buying whole new machines probably twice.

OK so the IYONIX pc was distinctly faster and maybe it is now time to thing
about upgrading! ;-)

Old October 2nd 03, 07:05 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Ralph

Thank goodness you explained that you're not a PC geek. Some people might
have got the wrong impression there. )

Old October 2nd 03, 08:29 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
John Cartmell

In article , Ralph
wrote:

"John Cartmell" wrote in message
wrote:

[...]

I'm not actually!
I produce a computer magazine but my interest is in what the machine(s) can
do - not their specification, speed, &c. I like to understand what happens
'under the bonnet' but real PC geeks are something else! Light chat for
them looks like this:

+++++++++++++
I was wondering if it would be wise to do things like setting all strings
to a 255 byte value and then emptying them again as I start the program,

Doesn't help - strings don't get "maximised" like that. There are loads of
separate string space lists, and no garbage collection, which is why this
little gem wastes 16K of memory... 8-O
A$="":B$="":FORZ%=1TO255:A$+="!":B$+="!":N.
Can one dimension an array inside a FN/PROC definition?

+++++++++++++

and I prefer to communicate is something closer to English!

[I sorted out your comment BTW as top posting makes a mess of discussions -
and your mail reader isn't snipping sigs. There is a patch that you can get
for Outlook Express to put that right - but don't ask me where you get that
from, I'm not a geek!]

Old October 2nd 03, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Niall

On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 00:15:04 +0100, John Cartmell
wrote:

wrote:

I'm certainly not a PC geek but can I suggest that you scrap Microsoft
products altogether? ;-)

OK, I'll bite- what do you suggest we should use instead?

Well I don't use them - nor PC machines. At the moment Im using a StrongARM
(processor) RiscPC machine; designed and made in the UK and running RISC OS
4.02 operating system. Earlier tonight I was giving a talk about board game
design using an IYONIX pc with an XScale style processor running RISC OS 5.

Other alternatives are Apple machines and OS or Linux on a standard PC.

So are you saying that the software for these machines is universally
easier to use and more reliable than WinTel? Because I flat out don't
believe it. It's certainly not true of Linux; I have done the same
things on the same PC (simply swapping out hard drives), and Linux
wouldn't play ball without messing about with arcane command line
switches in obscure files. Windows (and this is 3.11 I'm talking
about) simply recognised the hardware and worked. What was I trying to
do? Get the system to recognise and use an industry standard network
card.
PC Plus' linux guy recently said that Linux simply isn't currently
suitable for non techy users.

I'm currently fighting with Openoffice; trying to get it to do things
which Word does without problems.

There can be many advantages (and some disadvantages) to considering
alternative systems. eg this RiscPC is about 8 years old (it's had more
memory, bigger hard drive and a new processor and OS slotted in). It still
allows me to produce a high quality, A4 colour magazine for commercial
printing and sale; that's the equivalent of upgrading a 486 PC that
originally ran Windows 3.1. On the Windows route I'd have had to upgrade at
least three times buying whole new machines probably twice.

If the application hasn't changed, why does the hardware need to?
Anything you could do then with the hardware you still can. Difference
is that DTP software for windows is relatively much cheaper these
days, soley because of the huge user base.

I'm not saying that windows and PCs are perfect, but they do offer the
best genuine useability for the price.

And before anyone starts on about viruses, the first serious worm was
a unix program. The main reason why viruses are less common for other
platforms is much more to do with a limited user base than inherent
invulnerability. Linux viruses *do* exist.

--
Niall

Old October 2nd 03, 11:46 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
John Cartmell

In article , Niall
wrote:
On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 00:15:04 +0100, John Cartmell
wrote:

wrote:

I'm certainly not a PC geek but can I suggest that you scrap
Microsoft products altogether? ;-)

OK, I'll bite- what do you suggest we should use instead?

Well I don't use them - nor PC machines. At the moment Im using a
StrongARM (processor) RiscPC machine; designed and made in the UK and
running RISC OS 4.02 operating system. Earlier tonight I was giving a
talk about board game design using an IYONIX pc with an XScale style
processor running RISC OS 5.

Other alternatives are Apple machines and OS or Linux on a standard PC.

So are you saying that the software for these machines is universally
easier to use and more reliable than WinTel?

'Universally'! ? Certainly not.

Because I flat out don't believe it. It's certainly not true of Linux; I
have done the same things on the same PC (simply swapping out hard
drives), and Linux wouldn't play ball without messing about with arcane
command line switches in obscure files.

Linux is an option. I wouldn't call it a necessarily easier to use option -
though it almost certainly is cheaper.

Windows (and this is 3.11 I'm talking about) simply recognised the
hardware and worked. What was I trying to do? Get the system to
recognise and use an industry standard network card. PC Plus' linux guy
recently said that Linux simply isn't currently suitable for non techy
users.

Quite possibly the case. That's why I don't use it.

I'm currently fighting with Openoffice; trying to get it to do things
which Word does without problems.

There can be many advantages (and some disadvantages) to considering
alternative systems. eg this RiscPC is about 8 years old (it's had more
memory, bigger hard drive and a new processor and OS slotted in). It
still allows me to produce a high quality, A4 colour magazine for
commercial printing and sale; that's the equivalent of upgrading a 486
PC that originally ran Windows 3.1. On the Windows route I'd have had
to upgrade at least three times buying whole new machines probably
twice.

If the application hasn't changed, why does the hardware need to?
Anything you could do then with the hardware you still can. Difference
is that DTP software for windows is relatively much cheaper these days,
soley because of the huge user base.

In too many cases if you need new Windows software you have needed a new OS
and then a new machine.

I'm not saying that windows and PCs are perfect, but they do offer the
best genuine useability for the price.

Not so. Windows fails useability in a big way. RISC OS systems are far more
useable.

And before anyone starts on about viruses, the first serious worm was a
unix program. The main reason why viruses are less common for other
platforms is much more to do with a limited user base than inherent
invulnerability. Linux viruses *do* exist.

True. There are even RISC OS viruses. I haven't updated my virus killer for
5 years though and haven't suffered from a virus in that time despite
depending heavily on using the Internet.

There are other reasons that Windows machines are particularly vulnerable
and they include the design of the OS which deliberately has provision for
access by remote, hostile users.