Demountable experience / opinion?

Old October 15th 03, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Dave Smith

Default Demountable experience / opinion?

Has anybody had any experience of using a demountable body (not the 5th
wheel variety) on a pick up truck?

I like the idea of a twin cab pickup for mobility but a motorhome type body
for convenience/comfort. I've looked in a couple of different models but
they seem to be quite small so we're not sure if they would be suitable for
long term touring in Euope.

Dave

Old October 15th 03, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Dave Hardy

Details of the German Tischer range of dismountables can be had from
www.wellhouseleisure.com

news

Old October 15th 03, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
CHAP.

Yup, Dave's right we get our first Tischer de-mountable demo cabin in around
the 25th of this month see http://www.tischer.ch/ for more info.

David,
Wellhouse Leisure LTD.

"Dave Hardy" wrote in message
Details of the German Tischer range of dismountables can be had from
www.wellhouseleisure.com

news

Old October 16th 03, 07:06 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
riccip

"Dave Smith" wrote:

Has anybody had any experience of using a demountable body (not the 5th
wheel variety) on a pick up truck?

I like the idea of a twin cab pickup for mobility but a motorhome type body
for convenience/comfort. I've looked in a couple of different models but
they seem to be quite small so we're not sure if they would be suitable for
long term touring in Euope.

I used one of these for around 18 months and to be quite honest I
didn't get on with it. I bought it for the same reasons they
initially might appeal to you but there's a lot they don't tell
you in the brochures.

For a start it was a right pain to mount and demount from the
base vehicle. It takes two people around 15 - 20 mins with
practice, and *never* ask the wife to back under it while it's
balanced on it's rickety stilts. Not too much of a problem if
it's only a few times per year but if you've got the idea of
demounting the thing every evening at sites while you nip out for
a cozy meal you'll find yourself staying in for beans-on-toast
simply coz you can't be bothered. Winding demountables up and
down on their jacks is heavy going and not for the elderly or
infirm.

Because demountables have to double as stand-alone units their
construction has to be pretty robust, and consequently they are
heavy. Combined with the overall height once fitted to the
pick-up this inevitably affects handling. The base vehicle
handles acceptably carrying a normal heavy load but the higher
centre of gravity makes your combined rig handle like the
proverbial pig on roller skates. You soon learn to take corners,
roundabouts and sharp bends with care. At speed side winds and
passing lorries are especially noticeable. Performance is
seriously affected by both the weight and drag, although this is
somewhat academic as they don't feel comfortable to drive above
60mph. Fuel economy is also hit hard with mpg returns to make you
gasp.

As you say the accommodation is quite small for the size of the
combined unit. What's missing is underseat storage space so you
find yourself stowing gear above the cab and moving it around a
lot. You cannot walk through from the cab to the living
compartment so an emergency departure if disturbed at night is
out of the question. After a few trips you begin to ask why you
ever forked out such a ridiculous amount of cash for what you
actually get.

There is of course the main advantage that you can use the base
vehicle all year round but personally I would recommend a towed
caravan over a demountable if this is your main consideration,
for all of the reasons outlined above. Otherwise in this size of
motorcaravan a small coachbuilt or panel van conversion would be
a better way to go. If you can hire a demountable rig with
pick-up I would certainly do so before buying.
Old October 16th 03, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Dave Smith

Thanks for the advice everone. I will certainly be thinking harder now
before making any decisions.

Dave