Vehicle bat. charge when on mains?

Old October 22nd 03, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
GaryG

Default Vehicle bat. charge when on mains?

I have an Autotrail Cheyenne c1998 with the ubiquitous power arrangement for
charging the aux battery on the move etc etc.
If the vehicle battery is low ... is that then charged when the unit is on
mains from the 12v power unit?
Sorry for what MUST be a repeat of a previous question from others.
Garry
Manchester
Scotland tomorrow if it starts?

Old October 23rd 03, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
John Cartmell

In article , GaryG
wrote:
I have an Autotrail Cheyenne c1998

snap

with the ubiquitous power arrangement for charging the aux battery on
the move etc etc. If the vehicle battery is low ... is that then
charged when the unit is on mains from the 12v power unit? Sorry for
what MUST be a repeat of a previous question from others.

and can you explain what the AUX / MAIN switch actually means?

--
John Cartmell FAX +44 (0)8700-519-527
Acorn Publisher magazine & FD Games
Old October 23rd 03, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
riccip

"GaryG" wrote:

I have an Autotrail Cheyenne c1998 with the ubiquitous power arrangement for
charging the aux battery on the move etc etc.
If the vehicle battery is low ... is that then charged when the unit is on
mains from the 12v power unit?

Unfortunately there's no simple answer to this one. It depends on
what charging unit you have fitted and how it's wired. Assuming
it's a Zig unit (or one similar) it *may* be wired to charge the
vehicle battery but not necessarily. If you received any
Autotrail documentation with the van see if there's a wiring
diagram.

Otherwise disconnect the engine battery, put a voltmeter across
the connectors then switch on the mains and play with your
charger switches. Unless you read 12 - 15 volts then it isn't
charging (alternatively connect a 12v light bulb and see if it
lights up). If you believe it was originally wired for charging
then you should check for a blown in-line fuse.

These units were originally designed for caravans so they are
really only intended to charge leisure batteries. As such they
aren't much cop at charging engine batteries anyhow, so many
manufacturers don't connect that circuit. A much better idea is
to permanently install a separate small engine battery charger
connected to your van's mains, they're only a few quid. However
if base vehicle has any charging probs take it to your local
auto-electrician and buy some real peace of mind.
Old October 23rd 03, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
oldman

GaryG wrote:
I have an Autotrail Cheyenne c1998 with the ubiquitous power
arrangement for charging the aux battery on the move etc etc.
If the vehicle battery is low ... is that then charged when the
unit is on mains from the 12v power unit?
Sorry for what MUST be a repeat of a previous question from others.
Garry
Manchester
Scotland tomorrow if it starts?

IF its the same as mine Gary (97 Cheyenne) then the answere is no. I
carry a small charger under the front seat which has a 13 amp plug on
one end and a cigar lighter plug on the output end. I then plug into a
mains socket in the van when on hook-up put the other end in the cigar
socket.......... it work for me.
oldman

Old October 26th 03, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
GaryG

Just back from Scotland with it!
All was fine with a good run up there.
I have not had any problems but think the kids have been hammering the
stereo while kipping in it on the drive hoho.
I like the idea of a separate charger Alwyn. I also have a lead with lighter
plugs on both ends for a separate power unit ... could use that to balance
the batteries as I have also fitted a "cig" socket to the leisure battery
circuit form odds and sods.
Do intend to get one of the solar cell units too.
Garry

Old October 27th 03, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
AN6530

Subject: Vehicle bat. charge when on mains?
From: John Cartmell

and can you explain what the AUX / MAIN switch actually means?

Auxiliary battery / Main battery I would have thought.

Steve. Suffolk.
remove 'knujon' to e-mail