New Web Site

Old October 31st 03, 08:37 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Beardy

Default New Web Site

I am currently developing a web site devoted to information about Motor Caravans and Camping.

This is my first web site....so please be patient with me!!!

The URL for the site is http://www.the-bearded-one.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Options 2 thru 12 are still under development but your suggestions on content would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Beardy
Old October 31st 03, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Geoff Lane

"Beardy" wrote in
:

The URL for the site is
http://www.the-bearded-one.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Options 2 thru 12 are still under development but your suggestions on
content would be greatly appreciated.

FWIW, I sat waiting and waiting for (what I suspect is) a background image
to download (sky.bmp). Two points he
- bmps are not standard for the www -- try changing to GIF or JPEG. At a
push, you may get away with PNG, but not all browsers understand them.
- background and banner graphics are supplementary. That is, they are not
essential to understanding of the material on your website. You need to
ensure that they don't substantially increase the page download time
otherwise potential readers will do as I did: give up and go elsewhere.

HTH,

--
Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK
Old October 31st 03, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
The Man in the tree

Well, Beardy, no offence, but...if I were you, I wouldn't bother to promote
your website until there is something to look at.

I mean, really, a home page with 11 links, all dead, plus a bmp background
of 780kb

Try doing a search on how to make people stay on your web site for more than
8 seconds

Trefor

Old October 31st 03, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Ralph

Not much I can add to this. I just wasted a few minutes of my time but I
won't get caught again.

Old October 31st 03, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
John Cartmell

In article , Beardy
wrote:
I am currently developing a web site devoted to information about Motor
Caravans and Camping.

This is my first web site....so please be patient with me!!!

The URL for the site is http://www.the-bearded-one.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Options 2 thru 12 are still under development but your suggestions on
content would be greatly appreciated.

Content is irrelevant! You need to get the basics right first.

1. Just because it looks OK for you doesn't mean that it looks OK for me. I
could easily produce a site with graphics that you couldn't see at all but
would look a thousand times better on my machine than any other web
graphics. Use standard web graphic types ie *not* bmp.

2. Web sites must load quickly. Many people have slow connections - and
even with a fast connection your site is inordinately slow.

3. Some people will see your site without the graphics. Try turining your
graphics off and see what they (might) see. In this case it's pale yellow
text on top of a grey background. It is not possible to read any of the
text. In fact all that is clearly visible on the page is a 'powered by
blueyonder' graphic.

4. Producing a site of public use is a hard job. Get experience of
producing sites for your own use first.

5. Just in case you're tempted once you get started - KISS. No that's not
an invitation but a strong recommendation to Keep It Simple. Sites that
load fast and can be seen by any browser work best.

6. Read some good advice. Try "The Non-Designer's Web Book by (Robin)
Williams & Tollett or Teach Yourself HTML 4 in 24 hours. There may be some
good magazine advice around but I can only recommend one. ;-)

7. Keep trying! ;-)

And in web-design it's content that is most important - you can't design
your site like printed pages so don't try [and, of course, this contradicts
what I said at first - but you *do* have to be able to actually see the
text ;-) ]

Best of luck,

--
Finnybank Ltd 30 Finnybank Road SALE M33 6LR United Kingdom
Acorn Publisher magazine -- graphics = dtp = web design