Tablet Laptops as a base for Communication/Internet/TV/GPS

Old November 19th 03, 11:57 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
johntlewis

Default Tablet Laptops as a base for Communication/Internet/TV/GPS

Please help with advice on using aTablet Laptop as the nucleus of a
multimedia system , particularly as a GPS centre in a van.

John

Old November 20th 03, 06:45 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Ralph

Nice to see a posting that doesn't mention Bush!

Not sure what you mean by "tablet" but I use a Dell laptop in this way.
I have Infomap Navigator for the GPS (approx £110 & works well), a USB
connected WinTV card for TV (approx £50 & works well) and use the DVD drive
for the laptop to play DVDs (also works well) It is capable of internet
connection through mobile phone but I rarely use that and it's very slow.
We used to carry a full sized portable TV but decided that it was a waste of
space and weight as I always have the laptop anyway. The WinTV card is about
the size of a 20 cigarette box and weighs about the same. It has teletext
and even FM radio but that's never used as the van radio is available. Also
the laptop could play CDs but the van radio has a built in player.
Main difficulty in using a PC for GPS is finding somewhere to put it. In my
Hymer it goes on the huge dash shelf but it would be a challenge to find a
safe place in a normal cab type van I imagine. Not so much of a problem if
the passenger can look after it , audio instruction is all very well but I
like to see the map.

Old November 20th 03, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Mike Spires

Hi

I had also been thinking along these lines, with a smaller motorhome (auto
sleeper) space is always at a premium. I have looked at several second hand
laptops but not made any decision yet.
So John, what is the spec of your Dell...processor ,memory etc. or if you
like me you were about to get a laptop for the purpose what would be the
minimum spec that could cope with the job.

Mike

Old November 20th 03, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Knut Grøneng

For a while we was also using a laptop with "everything" on the usb.
Using a GPS-mouse and autoroute or Fugawi for navigation was so nice that
we invested in a small pc and a dash-mount 7" monitor - briliant for the
navigation but a 15" wallmounted LCD-TV is the super-solution. The pc we use
now is from http://www.cappuccinopc.com/ - but be warned not all models can
be used from 12V.
They offer the 7" and a 10" 12V monitor also.

Knut

"Mike Spires" skrev i melding

Old November 20th 03, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Ralph

I forgot to mention in my post that I use a small invertor (just the cheap
square wave kind) to keep the laptop running whilst mobile and apart from
falling out of the cigarette lighter socket (must get round to wiring it in
permanantly) this has worked happily.

Old November 20th 03, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Mike S

Hi Ralph

Thanks for the extra info about the invertor, I was wondering whether you
used a purpose made adaptor. I would still like to know the specification
of your laptop , ie what speed processor and memory, which operating system
Win98 or XP? and what minimum spec I should look for to run the type of
applications you are using.

Sorry to hijack John's thread

Mike

Old November 20th 03, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Knut Grøneng

In discount electronics shops you may find at about 20 pounds a 70w 12V to
laptop DC-Dc converter.
The nice thing with this is a 90+ % effiency, compared with les than 80 for
the inverter and about the same for the Ac power for the laptop.
With this setup you may run much longer in the evening on only the battery
power.

Knut

"Mike S" skrev i melding

Old November 21st 03, 06:42 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Ralph

This sounds a great idea but I've never seen anything like it. Do you have
any more info? web site etc?

Old November 21st 03, 06:49 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Ralph

Laptop used is a Dell 400Mhz (P2) so nothing special by today's standards.
It has 128Mb RAM and is running XP.
The big advantage of XP is that hibernate works very well so I never do a
full shutdown but just leave Navigator etc. running and have the off switch
set for hibernation. Then in just seconds it's ready to use again. This
helps to make up for the less than impressive spec of the laptop.

Old November 21st 03, 12:21 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
johntlewis

"Mike Spires" wrote in message
Hi

I had also been thinking along these lines, with a smaller motorhome (auto
sleeper) space is always at a premium. I have looked at several second

hand
laptops but not made any decision yet.
So John, what is the spec of your Dell...processor ,memory etc. or if you
like me you were about to get a laptop for the purpose what would be the
minimum spec that could cope with the job.

Mike

I have no experience of Tablet Laptops but they have two advantages it
would seem. One, they are small. I also run an AutoSleeper Duetto. Two, they
offer touch-screen input, so that in theory you can input waypoints by
touching the screen with a stylus. Also they fold over so as to lie flat on
top of the dashboard.
All of this is however a pipe dream on my part, as I need to find out about
the compatability of their operating system ( A subset of Win XP Tablet PC
edition) and a bit more about the brightness of thir image (refered to in
one contribution).
I have been thinking about an Acer Travelmate111 or Compaq TC1000, however
prices are moving down!.

John