Swift Gazelle

Old December 7th 03, 09:04 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Michael Marriott

Default Swift Gazelle

I have recently purchased a Swift Gazelle F61on a Ducato chassis.

We get on well with it and, in common with most, have evolved to this layout
over a number of motorhomes over the years.

We initially where looking at the Swift Royal and had almost settled on one
from a local dealer here in Cambridgeshire. But, in our travels we saw our
Gazelle at Newark. We liked it and the deal was better so we bought it.

Now, as we travel, we rarely see a Gazelle!! Why??? It looks like they
where only made for a short period, is that correct??? If so, why?

Can anybody tell me about the build history of the Swift Gazelle? Our's
is year 2000 on a "W" plate.

I have no complaints about it at all, just interested as to why they seem so
rare. I cant find one advertised in MMM this month and that seems to be
the norm.

--
Mike & Carol.
Email:

Old December 9th 03, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Bob Douglas

"Michael Marriott" wrote in message
[...]

Mike,

can't give you a definitive answer on all your questions, but can add some
facts, and also some observations.

The Gazelle range was launched at the NEC show in '99 ostensibly I think to
replace the Royale range, but with a 2000UKP or so higher price.

The layouts were very much like the Royale range, but somewhat more stylised
looks, particularly the roof and side skirt styling, the Royale being
'functional' (but you'll know that).

It looks to me as if they were aiming on a Swift range that went slightly
below the Royale range (Sundance), slightly above (Gazelle), and the
Kontiki at the high end.

In reality I think as a range it must have 'escaped' at a time when the
Swift Group were beginning to change their marketting practice and product
strategy. The Royale continued for some time alongside (slightly under) the
Gazelle, but had disappeared by the time the '02 brochure was issued, that
had the Gazelle and Gazelle high (double floor) range in it. By reference to
price lists, it would appear that the Gazelle range disappeared somewhere
around the end of 2002.

By that time, Swift had remarshalled its model plan, largely placing Ace at
the lower end, Bessacarr in the middle ground, and retaining Swift (Kontiki)
at the top.

From the above, I would think the production life of the Gazelle was around
3 years, and, living near Brownhills and being a reasonably regular visitor,
their stock levels of the range were never particularly high, so it may be
that production was also limited throughout that period.

Bob
--
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00

Old December 11th 03, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Michael Marriott

Thanks for that Bob. It seems that there is little known about the
Gazelle, the production time factor is, no doubt, to blame.
However, we like it. As you indicated, it is realy just a slightly more
styalised Royale.

Many thanks.

--
Mike & Carol.