cab silver screens

Old December 9th 03, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
ken

Default cab silver screens

Hi,

Can any-one explain the merits of having external cab silver screens or are
internal ones best? Also any-one know a supplier or web site?

Many thanks

Ken

Old December 9th 03, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Bob Douglas

"ken" wrote in message
Hi,

Can any-one explain the merits of having external cab silver screens or

are
internal ones best? Also any-one know a supplier or web site?

Many thanks

Ken

Ken,

external screens are generally somewhat more effective. A closer fit to the
screen, and somewhat better insulation. Also (in my experience) more
positive location than internal screens (which normally rely on being
located by 'suckers' which may lose their grip overnight).

As a result, there is generally less condensation on the inside of the
screen after a really cold night using externals rather than internals.

The downside is that externals can get wet, (rain or frost) which may be an
issue when you have to remove them to move on (ours live in the shower tray
if they do), and may need drying out when you get home.

As a standby compromise, it is possible to use my (external) Silver Screens
as internals by reversing them, where they are not as good a fit, but still
functional.

For externals try 01274 872151 (Silver Screens) or 01484 661918 (Taylormade
www.taylormade-window-covers-co.uk)

For internals try CAK, contact details on www.CAKtanks.co.uk

I can vouch for Silver Screens phone order service (very helpful).

Bob
--
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00

Old December 10th 03, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Bob

ken wrote:

Hi,

Can any-one explain the merits of having external cab silver screens or are
internal ones best? Also any-one know a supplier or web site?

Many thanks

Ken

So called "silver screens" work on the basis of reflection, they reflect
visible and infra red radiation, but they are not perfect reflectors so some
energy is absorbed in the material and is lost again by re radiating,
convection and conduction in the form of heat.If you put them on the inside the
incoming radiation passes through glass which is not totally transparent and
therefore absorbs some energy, heating up in the process. Reflected energy fom
the SS passes back through the glass which absorbs more energy.
Placing the SS outside, stops the glass absorbing energy and also allows any
heat absorbed in the SS to be lost to the outside.
It also works similarily in reverse reducing energy loss during the night.
Sorry it's a bit garbled.
Bob

Old December 10th 03, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Dave Stockley

I have a set of Taylormade for Latest Transit based, I have also used them
on my new Fiat Ducato a bit tight round the mirrors.
For sale if u like at 50 carriage included.

They are silver externals and are well padded.
I will get some more for the Fiat
Dave

Old December 10th 03, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
ken

Thanks for your replies Dave and Bob. I think I will go for the external
screens. Tried the web sites you stated but nothing happened. I will give
silver screens a ring in the morning. Thanks for the offer of your old
screens Dave but I need them for a Fiat Duccato. By the way all, have just
taken possession of our new (well 2 years old) baby, a Benimar Europe.
Lovely beast. I am like a kid with a new toy.

Ken

Old December 11th 03, 07:51 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
gill107

"ken" wrote in message
Thanks for your replies Dave and Bob. I think I will go for the external
screens. Tried the web sites you stated but nothing happened. I will give
silver screens a ring in the morning. Thanks for the offer of your old
screens Dave but I need them for a Fiat Duccato. By the way all, have just
taken possession of our new (well 2 years old) baby, a Benimar Europe.
Lovely beast. I am like a kid with a new toy.

Ken

-----------------------------------
A couple of comments, Ken.
Bob mentioned removing the screens in poor weather. This applies equally to
fitting in poor weather when it is you who gets wet then comes back into the
mh with wet clothes or very very cold.

Have you thought of the type of motorhoming you want?
Will it be campsites or in the case of visiting France for instance will
you use aires or wildcamp.
We spend at least 3 seperate months in France and for the most part use town
and village aires (never autoroutes). In the main we have never had any
bother but if we had ever felt the need to leave quickly we would would not
have wanted to get out of the mh to remove exterior screens.

Just a thought

Gillian

Old December 11th 03, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Dave Stockley

Ok my external ones were for a ford and 6months old. They just fit the Fiat
Ducato but are a bit tight round the mirrors
I think externals are better, but must agree with the person that said they
are a nuiscance when wet.
We just got a new Kontiki this year and traded in the Autosleeper just 1
year old. I got more money to burn!!
Good fun innit!
Dave

Old December 11th 03, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Bob Douglas

"ken" wrote in message
Thanks for your replies Dave and Bob. I think I will go for the external
screens. Tried the web sites you stated but nothing happened. I will give
silver screens a ring in the morning. Thanks for the offer of your old
screens Dave but I need them for a Fiat Duccato. By the way all, have just
taken possession of our new (well 2 years old) baby, a Benimar Europe.
Lovely beast. I am like a kid with a new toy.

Ken

Ken,

sorry, a typo on the Taylormade link

should have been www.taylormade-window-covers.co.uk (I didn't access it
before posting, but I note it gives much the same advice as I posted - and,
incidentally, raises the same points as Gill).

The CAK link works for me though.

Hope you remain satisfied with the Benimar. We're 18 months into ours, and
so far so good.

Certainly the best coachbuilt 'van I've had, and I find RDH decent to deal
with.

Bob

Old December 12th 03, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
ken

Thanks again for your replies. The web link worked this time. We are well
pleased with our Benimar. The quality is excellent. Similar to Dave, we
bought a brand new Compass Avantgarde 400 at this years Detling show, picked
it up in June and had some great fun in it. But as usual, we never gave
enough thought to what we wanted in a motorhome, so started looking at fixed
bed models. We had our hearts set on a Auto Trail but I don't like waiting
months and months for delivery. We just happened to be in Herne Bay one day
and popped in to BCS, the Benimar dealer down this way. He had just taken in
a part exchange Europe (2 years old) and we fell for it. Every extra
possible and immaculate. I highly recommend BCS. So there we are, we had a
brand new van and then changed it for a second hand one. But we don't regret
it.

Ken

Old December 28th 03, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Henry Springer

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 16:01:06 -0000, "Dave Stockley"

Did you sell your screens - if not I am interested if they will fit my
transit (old style)