12v tv problems

« - | - »

Old December 14th 03, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Ian R

Default 12v tv problems

Hi Group,

Any sugestions on the following problem :-

Have used my 12v portable Tv many times connected to the 12v outlet on my
swift mh with no probs, but the other week used electric hook up, forgot
the mains adapter for tv, so used it again with the 12v supply from mh
battery, it seems that being on mains, and having the zig unit running the
12v charging system etc the voltage must have been wayover the normal 13.5v
or so output, so tv kind of burnt out!!

What I am trying to find out is there anyway of regulating the mh battery
down to a true 12v or so voltage for the tv through the 12v outlet??

Sure 1 of u electronic buffs can help (besides remember mains adaptor)

many thanks

Old December 15th 03, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
David Miller

"Ian R" wrote in message ...
Hi Group,

Any sugestions on the following problem :-

Have used my 12v portable Tv many times connected to the 12v outlet on my
swift mh with no probs, but the other week used electric hook up, forgot
the mains adapter for tv, so used it again with the 12v supply from mh
battery, it seems that being on mains, and having the zig unit running the
12v charging system etc the voltage must have been wayover the normal 13.5v
or so output, so tv kind of burnt out!!

What I am trying to find out is there anyway of regulating the mh battery
down to a true 12v or so voltage for the tv through the 12v outlet??

Sure 1 of u electronic buffs can help (besides remember mains adaptor)

many thanks

Ian

This is strange. It's quite normal to run a 12V TV while the
motorhome (or caravan) is connected up to the mains - or at least,
we've done it successfully for years, with a series of 3 different 12v
TVs, none of which has burnt out. The Zig unit will provide something
like 13.6V, the same as provided by a vehicle's own (engine-driven)
charging system, and I'd expect a "12V" TV to take that in its stride.

If the Zig is providing much too high a voltage, that will also
over-charge (dry out) the leisure battery. I suggest the first move
is to measure the voltage across the battery terminals, when connected
up to mains - if it's too high, get the Zig fixed. If it's
13.something, then it suggests the TV had some other fault, that has
coincidentally shown itself at this time.

Dave
Old December 15th 03, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Ian R

Hi David thanks for reply,

TV in question is a 15" LCD tv I purchased early this year has a 12v input
socket at the rear and came with a 240v to 12v cable with convertor , said
TV has had many hours of use in motorhome plugged into 12v outlet only with
no probs even down to almost flat batteries!! Great picture, much better
than our trusty old 10" crt set it replaced!

How ever have today had chance to check things out as regards voltages from
12v tv outlet fitted to van (almost new swift) as follows :-

Engine Batt :- 12.65v (prob not fully charged)
Leisure Batt :- 13.44 (fully charged as solar panel topping up all the time)
Leisure Batt with hook up :- 13.77v
Engine Batt with hook up :- 13.68v

Voltage out of supplied power adaptor :- 12.33v
Voltage out of supplied power adaptor when plugged into 150w invertor
:-12.23v

From above it seems that the small increase in voltage 13.44v to 13.77v (on
mains hookup) was just to much for the tv!!
On said day it gave in, was at brownhills overnight, used mains hookup,
remembered tv but not the mains lead, connected tv to 12v van supply set
autotune, went outside to fill water tank, came inside, tv tuned good pic,
could smell slight burning smell, then small amount of smoke from tv, before
had chance to disconnect, picture went off, blank screen, only sound now!!
Have since taken said tv back to suppliers who exchanged it for a new set no
questions asked!!
But don't want same thing to happen again.
Could always use tv with provided mains cable through invertor but using
more power??
Would like to somehow connect it with a sim voltage to what it should be
12.3v or so.
Any more suggestions??

"

Old December 16th 03, 03:18 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Bill[_5_]

From above it seems that the small increase in voltage 13.44v to 13.77v (on
mains hookup) was just to much for the tv!!

No, this wouldn't hurt the telly. The supply goes straight to a regulator
inside the set. Believe me.
Bill
Ageism damages our culture as much as racism.
Old December 16th 03, 09:13 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
3A Web Hosting

Hi

No, this wouldn't hurt the telly. The supply goes straight to a regulator
inside the set. Believe me.

I have to totally agree. The 0.33V would make absolutely no difference
at all. If the dealer replaced it without question then perhaps there's
a known fault on that model.

--
Colin

3A Web Hosting Team
http://www.3awebhosting.co.uk
Old December 16th 03, 09:17 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
S P O N I X

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 22:03:09 -0000, "Ian R"
wrote:

Hi Group,

Any sugestions on the following problem :-

It shouldn't be a problem. What spec does the TV instruction manula
give for the 12v supply? Do you have a model number for the TV?

sPoNiX
Old December 16th 03, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Doug

I'm not convinced the TV would have an internal regulator as the
components are designed to run on 12v plus/minus 5% ie 11.4 to 12.6.
It MAY have over-voltage protection which is all you really need.

The external mains adapter providing a regulated 12v which your tests
shows is well within these tolerances. On your leisure battery you
were running it 15% over and that is more than enough to blow
electronic components.

If you told your dealer that you had been running on an unregulated
supply he might not have been quite so willing to swap it under
warranty. But, hey, you got a result!

Hi

Old December 16th 03, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Ian R

TV is a Goodmans GTV15LCD Monitor & tv in one, Excellent pic much better
than our old 10" dual voltage roadstar TV.
But doe's anyone think LCD TV's may be voltage sensative than a ordinary
crt TV??
Have seen many sold at motorhome shows etc, anyone else out there using a
LCD tv with no problems?? Maybe the TV was at fault??

The book sys :- Power supply Adapter input :
ut DC a2V, 3.33A, Power Consumption 40Watt,,
DPMS(VESA) 5watt

Old December 16th 03, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Knut Grøneng

Many LCD TV's are specified to "only" use the enclosed AC adapter.
It seems as the internal power handling then is optimiced to this voltage.

Philips has a range of LCD TV's with this spec, and they give unstabel
pictures with a voltage just under 12V.
They also have an overvoltage protection that blows at about 15V, and have
exluded this from any waranty.

What all of us realy need is a device that gives a stable 12V out for
anything between 10V and 35V (making room for 24V systems)
All I have seen is downregulators for 15+ V to 12 V and smallsignal 5V to
12V - not enough Amps for a LCD.

Knut

"Ian R" skrev i melding

Old December 16th 03, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
John Sangwin

In a message dated Tue, 16 Dec 2003, Knut Grøneng writes:

What all of us realy need is a device that gives a stable 12V out for
anything between 10V and 35V (making room for 24V systems)
All I have seen is downregulators for 15+ V to 12 V and smallsignal 5V to
12V - not enough Amps for a LCD.

I have such a device, it's called an Amperor.

John
--
John Sangwin

)