Honda EU 20i generator exhaust fume porting

« - | - »

Old December 16th 03, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Ben

Default Honda EU 20i generator exhaust fume porting

I've just bought a Honda EU 20i generator for my Eura Mobil motorhome.
It's a lovely model but I would like to run it in the garage. A local
mechanic is about to weld a bit of piping onto the silencer, then clip
onto to flexible steel exhause tubing that will pass out through the floor.

Does anyone have any experience 'internalising' a generator like this, and
any words of warning. I'm particularly concerned about making a hole in
the garage floor.

Thanks in advance

Ben

Old December 17th 03, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy R

"Ben" wrote in message
news
I've just bought a Honda EU 20i generator for my Eura Mobil motorhome.
It's a lovely model but I would like to run it in the garage. A local
mechanic is about to weld a bit of piping onto the silencer, then clip
onto to flexible steel exhause tubing that will pass out through the

floor.

Does anyone have any experience 'internalising' a generator like this, and
any words of warning. I'm particularly concerned about making a hole in
the garage floor.

I'd be more concerned about cooling problems and the possibility of the
garage area getting pretty hot. You then get the petrol tank on the gennie
rather hotter than was intended and maybe venting petrol vapour into the
garage compartment. Also you could end up with burnt out valves on the
gennie by adding too much length to the exhaust pipe.

I just wonder why you need a gennie in the first place, I've been
caravanning/motorhoming for years and never needed one. They just create a
noise on an otherwise peaceful site, rather inconsiderate to the others
who've gone there for peace and quiet. A decent battery will last for ages
and if you have something you can't do without that really must have mains
then use an inverter.

Rgds

Andy R

Old December 17th 03, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Ben

Thank for the feedback. My girlfriend and I are full-timing and do not, as
a rule, use campsites - and when we do they are minimal facility and hence
typically deserted (at this time of year anyway)

We run the generator for about 30 mins morning and evening to charge the
220Ah leisure batteries, and the few items that I cannot use my Maplin
universal DC adaptors for. Additionally, Lizzie uses a hairdryer (1100W)
on occasion + we are considering a microwave. Having the gennerator also
means we can keep our breadmaker, a real treat when wild camping somewhere
far-out.

An inverter is all very well but we have to put energy into the batteries
sometime. I would rather run a small, economical generator than the 2.8
litre diesel engine of the van. By my calculations, solar panels cannot be
relied upon to relace the energy we use during a day.

Having said all that we've new to motorhoming, and welcome any feedback
from experienced users.

Regards

Ben

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 09:42:54 -0000, Andy R wrote:

news

Old December 17th 03, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Ben

With regards to cooling problems, the garage space is a large volume
(several cubic meters) so I assume this won't be a problem, especially as
the hot exhaust gases are being sent outside and we don't intend to run it
'indoors' for more than an hour at a time.

n Wed, 17 Dec 2003 09:42:54 -0000, Andy R wrote:

news

Old December 17th 03, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
nospam

To over come any heating problems, why not put two vents in opposite corners
of the floor then on the one use some 4" soil/drain pipe with a fan on the
inside to draw air directly from the top of the garage, then the other vent
will allow cool air in the bottom.
--
Steve

http://tinyurl.co.uk/lpak

"Ben" wrote in message
news
With regards to cooling problems, the garage space is a large volume
(several cubic meters) so I assume this won't be a problem, especially as
the hot exhaust gases are being sent outside and we don't intend to run it
'indoors' for more than an hour at a time.

n Wed, 17 Dec 2003 09:42:54 -0000, Andy R wrote:

news

Old December 17th 03, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Ben

Thanks, I'll stick a thermometer in the region of the genny and see if get
hot enough (say above 40 C) to warrant such a move.

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 13:11:30 -0000, nospam wrote:

To over come any heating problems, why not put two vents in opposite
corners
of the floor then on the one use some 4" soil/drain pipe with a fan on
the
inside to draw air directly from the top of the garage, then the other
vent
will allow cool air in the bottom.
--
Steve

http://tinyurl.co.uk/lpak

"Ben" wrote in message
news
With regards to cooling problems, the garage space is a large volume
(several cubic meters) so I assume this won't be a problem, especially
as
the hot exhaust gases are being sent outside and we don't intend to run
it
'indoors' for more than an hour at a time.

n Wed, 17 Dec 2003 09:42:54 -0000, Andy R wrote:

news I've just bought a Honda EU 20i generator for my Eura Mobil