Uk caravan price rip-off?

Old October 29th 03, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Uno Hoo!

Default Uk caravan price rip-off?

On a recent trip to the States I was astonished at the low prices for quite
luxurious and huge trailer and fifth wheel 'caravans'.
Take a look at this and weep. The first 'caravan' shown equates to less than
10k at today's exchange rates!
It includes awning, air conditioning, microwave and stereo!

http://www.rvkountry.com/products.cfm?ID=30

Ever get the impression that we are constantly ripped-off in this country?

Kev

Old October 29th 03, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"Uno Hoo!" wrote in message
On a recent trip to the States I was astonished at the low prices for

quite
luxurious and huge trailer and fifth wheel 'caravans'.
Take a look at this and weep. The first 'caravan' shown equates to less

than
10k at today's exchange rates!
It includes awning, air conditioning, microwave and stereo!

http://www.rvkountry.com/products.cfm?ID=30

Ever get the impression that we are constantly ripped-off in this country?

You only get ripped off if you allow yourself to be ripped off. If this is
the caravan you want go and buy it, bring it over in a container for a
couple of grand, pay the import duty & VAT and you'd still have a lot of van
for the money. It does look a bit big though for the average Mondeo to
pull.

Rgds

Andy R

Old October 29th 03, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

Ever get the impression that we are constantly ripped-off in this country?

It's a constant theme.
Take the exorbitant taxes away (out of EU and out of vat) and prices would
be quite reasonable.
DaveK

Old October 29th 03, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Robert E A Harvey

"DaveK" wrote in message
Ever get the impression that we are constantly ripped-off in this

country?

It's a constant theme.
Take the exorbitant taxes away (out of EU and out of vat) and prices would
be quite reasonable.
DaveK

I'm not convinced by that. In or out of the EU there would be taxation -
we used to have 21.5% purchase tax, don't forget. There is sales tax in
most US states as well.

I've noticed a huge difference in vehicle costs around the world. A friend
lives in Thailand and has bought a brand new diesel Hiace for under 4
thousand pounds - a large 4x4 with a 6 litre engine would have been around
five thousand. Those huge, multi-litre, pick-ups the americans love sell
over there for about the same price as a ford mondeo over here.

There does seem still to be differential pricing in things that can't be
bought at a distance (Computer components seem to be roughtly the same price
all over the planet. Cars and Wardrobes aren't)

Old October 29th 03, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stephen Glynn

Try Michael Jordan Caravans in South London, most new vans from there are at
least a 1000 cheaper than anywhere else for some reason, I live in
Birmingham and are seriously considering making the 3hr journey to purchase
a new Swift Challenger(5 berth) from there.

Old October 29th 03, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Funkyman

"Uno Hoo!" wrote in message
On a recent trip to the States I was astonished at the low prices for

quite
luxurious and huge trailer and fifth wheel 'caravans'.
Take a look at this and weep. The first 'caravan' shown equates to less

than
10k at today's exchange rates!
It includes awning, air conditioning, microwave and stereo!

http://www.rvkountry.com/products.cfm?ID=30

Ever get the impression that we are constantly ripped-off in this country?

Kev

Haven't you heard England/British Isles ever being referred to as treasure
Island.

Dave

Old October 29th 03, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Uno Hoo!

Stephen Glynn wrote:
Try Michael Jordan Caravans in South London, most new vans from there
are at least a 1000 cheaper than anywhere else for some reason, I
live in Birmingham and are seriously considering making the 3hr
journey to purchase a new Swift Challenger(5 berth) from there.

Just be aware that for any warranty repairs you will need to undertake the 3
hr journey back to Michael Jordan Caravans! It's about time that something
was done about the ludicrous caravan warranty system.

Kev

Old October 30th 03, 04:29 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bowtiejim

"Funkyman" wrote in message

"Uno Hoo!" wrote in message
On a recent trip to the States I was astonished at the low prices for

quite
luxurious and huge trailer and fifth wheel 'caravans'.
Take a look at this and weep. The first 'caravan' shown equates to less

than
10k at today's exchange rates!
It includes awning, air conditioning, microwave and stereo!

http://www.rvkountry.com/products.cfm?ID=30

Ever get the impression that we are constantly ripped-off in this

country?

Kev

Haven't you heard England/British Isles ever being referred to as treasure

Have you noticed that one of the most opponents to UK joining the "Euro" is
Sir Sydney Kalms, chairman of the Dixons Group. His opinion is shared by
the chief execs of a number of our largest stores, now I wonder why?

How come in the US that 2001 models are classified as being new?

Old October 30th 03, 08:34 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

"Uno Hoo!" wrote in message
Stephen Glynn wrote:
Try Michael Jordan Caravans in South London, most new vans from there
are at least a 1000 cheaper than anywhere else for some reason, I
live in Birmingham and are seriously considering making the 3hr
journey to purchase a new Swift Challenger(5 berth) from there.

Just be aware that for any warranty repairs you will need to undertake the

3
hr journey back to Michael Jordan Caravans! It's about time that something
was done about the ludicrous caravan warranty system.

Kev

That's because the UK caravan industry is about where the UK car industry
was in the 60s. Then came competition from overseas and they either got
there act together or went bust. Imo the same will now start to happen with
the caravan industry.

Richard

---

Old October 30th 03, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Uno Hoo!

bowtiejim wrote:
"Funkyman" wrote in message

"Uno Hoo!" wrote in message
On a recent trip to the States I was astonished at the low prices
for quite luxurious and huge trailer and fifth wheel 'caravans'.
Take a look at this and weep. The first 'caravan' shown equates to
less than 10k at today's exchange rates!
It includes awning, air conditioning, microwave and stereo!

http://www.rvkountry.com/products.cfm?ID=30

Ever get the impression that we are constantly ripped-off in this
country?

Kev

Haven't you heard England/British Isles ever being referred to as
treasure

Have you noticed that one of the most opponents to UK joining the
"Euro" is Sir Sydney Kalms, chairman of the Dixons Group. His
opinion is shared by the chief execs of a number of our largest
stores, now I wonder why?

How come in the US that 2001 models are classified as being new?

I think that they are unsold 2001 models - hence 'old' in terms of model
year but 'new' in terms of not having been used.

Kev