free overnight standing on aires in U.K. ?

Old December 22nd 03, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
dario osaris

Default free overnight standing on aires in U.K. ?

hi netlanders,

in a magazine I read free overnight standing is strictly
prohibited in UK because police intends to solve the
"tinker problem" this way.

How do they distinct between tinkers and motorhome drivers on aires?

Do they distinct at all?

What problems do I have to expect if standing overnight on an aire?

Thanx for useful hints.

Dario

Old December 22nd 03, 12:21 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy R

"Dario Osaris" wrote in message
hi netlanders,

in a magazine I read free overnight standing is strictly
prohibited in UK because police intends to solve the
"tinker problem" this way.

Absolute rubbish. If plod think's you're a real Pikey then they're too
afraid to move you on. The only time they'll move a Pikey on is if they
know he's headed for a privately owned field cos as soon as he's there plod
can say "sorry mate, it's a civil matter, nothing to do with us"

How do they distinct between tinkers and motorhome drivers on aires?

I think it's pretty obvious, don't you?

Do they distinct at all?

Plod will only nick an easy target. If you infringe some minor rule they'll
nick you cos it's easy. You're sitting in several tens of thousands of
pounds worth of motorhome so they know you'll pay the fine.

What problems do I have to expect if standing overnight on an aire?

Noisy lorries, the ever present smell of lorry driver's urine and the chance
of being robbed. That's about it.

Rgds

Andy R

Old December 23rd 03, 08:14 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
AC

In article , Dario Osaris
writes
in a magazine I read free overnight standing is strictly
prohibited in UK because police intends to solve the
"tinker problem" this way.

How do they distinct between tinkers and motorhome drivers on aires?

Do they distinct at all?

What problems do I have to expect if standing overnight on an aire?

UK does not have the same sort of acceptance of MH parking overnight as
in for example, France.

In UK there are a lot of small parking places by the side of main roads,
but these are usually used for very short stops, and anyway are likely
to be very noisy from fast traffic. Some places are longer or larger,
and a lorry or two will be also likely to use it, these are often set
back slightly from the road. I do not think the police would be
interested, but I have not any expert advice.

Some parking and picnic places near older roads are made from short
parts of the road which has now been made more straight. they often have
some trees and are less obvious from the road.

Motorway Services are better organised for parking, and allow only 2
hours free parking, with a charge for more (usually up to 24 hours).
Lorries and caravans cost more than cars, presumably since they take a
greater length of parking. We regard our MH (length 5m) as a car.

There are no waste disposal facilities or water etc for MH's anywhere
public that I know of.

We have used a few motorway services, and even once in a the street in a
Birmingham suburb, in a secluded place.

The method of personal 'identification' used in UK is (as far as I know)
different to that used in mainland Europe. It is very much property
(house) based and *very* closely linked to a 'permanent' address. We do
not use an identity card - which would formalise our existence when
wandering about (or in shops) we have a house number and postcode!

This may be part of the reason why people of no fixed address might
easily find themselves more excluded than they might wish. Our crowded
island is also very aware of land ownership. I complained about the
height barriers at one of the retail parks in our area and was told that
a number of travellers had stayed in the car park in the past and had
caused damage.
--
AC
Old December 30th 03, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Mark G Phillips

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 14:02:03 +0100, Dario Osaris
wrote:

hi netlanders,

in a magazine I read free overnight standing is strictly
prohibited in UK because police intends to solve the
"tinker problem" this way.

How do they distinct between tinkers and motorhome drivers on aires?

Do they distinct at all?

What problems do I have to expect if standing overnight on an aire?

Thanx for useful hints.

The first answer is in the UK there are no Aires like there are on the
European mainland. Motorhomes have not been accepted to the degree
they have on the mainland.

Towns and cities generally discourage overnight stops by motorhome
users, in some cases they discourage parking by having height barriers
at car parks.

Although most motorway service stations have areas for caravans and
motorhomes, most have rules that allow vehicle owners to stop for 2
hours for free. If you wish to stop for longer, you have to pay a fee.
No service stations as far as I know have any waste disposal areas.

An alternative used by many truck drivers is to stop overnight at
laybys (parking areas at the side of the road). You will find that
most laybys that are set back from the road will have parked trucks in
them at night. There is no official policy, but truck drivers have to
have a break, so the Police turn a blind eye.

Be aware that the law in the UK allows the Police to move anyone
parked at the side of the road. You do not have any right to stay.
These laws come from the battles the Police had with "new age
travellers" back in the eighties.

The way to act is to be sensible and park up with trucks when you see
them in laybys, as generally these are safe places to park. You might
have to put up with them making early starts and waking you up though.

Mark.

Old December 31st 03, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Dave Hardy[_2_]

"Mark G Phillips" wrote in message

The first answer is in the UK there are no Aires like there are on the
European mainland. Motorhomes have not been accepted to the degree
they have on the mainland.

There are two aires in the UK. One is at Fettercairn, near Lawrencekirk in
Aberdeenshire. I forget where the other one is. Fettercairn is a French
style aire with a water/electricity pedestal, etc.

Old January 1st 04, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
David McMillan

Fettercairn is a French
style aire with a water/electricity pedestal, etc.

There is also one at Broughshane, Co Antrim, Northern Ireland.