Washing onboard

« - | - »

Old December 22nd 03, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Ben

Default Washing onboard

We full-time and would like to be able to wash clothes onboard. Drying is
not a problem, just a few hours in the shower with the heating on.

We have enough garage space, payload, water and power for a domestic
washing machine but ONLY JUST. Does anyone know of a smaller, lighter and
less power hungry option (NOT handwashing in the sink, however!)

Regards

Ben

Old December 23rd 03, 12:37 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Hilary[_2_]

"Ben" wrote in message
news
We have enough garage space, payload, water and power for a domestic
washing machine but ONLY JUST. Does anyone know of a smaller, lighter and
less power hungry option (NOT handwashing in the sink, however!)

White Knight ( I think its a basic brand of one of the bigger manufacturers)
used to do a small washing machine the same size as the smaller tumble
dryers. Unfortunately I havent seen one for a while so maybe they are
discontinued.

Twin tubs used to be considered more economical but I dont think that holds
true against the modern front loader, but it might be worth looking into.

If you are prepared to pay a bit more most front loader manufacturers make
ecological models. Less water, soap and energy. Mine does a AA wash which
takes forever but uses little. I believe some do a AAA wash which might use
so little as to solve your problem??

)

Old December 23rd 03, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
AC

In article , Ben
writes
We full-time and would like to be able to wash clothes onboard. Drying
is not a problem, just a few hours in the shower with the heating on.

We have enough garage space, payload, water and power for a domestic
washing machine but ONLY JUST. Does anyone know of a smaller, lighter
and less power hungry option (NOT handwashing in the sink, however!)

Machines usually also have an automatic water pressure sensor and will
stop if water pressure is too low or is low enough to fill unusually
slowly, so beware of this.

I sympathise with your need, although had you considered that the modern
washing powders do most of the work for you? so leaving washing to soak
in a large bucket (or tub?) (or garden water but?) with an occasional
stir with a stick, will do something close to a whirring modern
mechanism.

The issue for me would be how to wring (or spin) conveniently, to reduce
the fairly long dripping stage.
--
AC
Old December 23rd 03, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
RCC

There was a passage in Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck. He
describes putting his washing in a bucket with a lid in the back of his
camper van. A days driving washed it.

I guess this doesn't help but its a nice image.

In message , Ben
writes
We full-time and would like to be able to wash clothes onboard. Drying
is not a problem, just a few hours in the shower with the heating on.

We have enough garage space, payload, water and power for a domestic
washing machine but ONLY JUST. Does anyone know of a smaller, lighter
and less power hungry option (NOT handwashing in the sink, however!)

Regards

Ben

--
Richard C
Old December 23rd 03, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
gill107

news

-----------------------
"RCC" wrote in message
There was a passage in Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck. He
describes putting his washing in a bucket with a lid in the back of his
camper van. A days driving washed it.

Richard C

------------------------
We used to do something similar and it does work if you are travelling.

With the greater volume likely with full-timing it would have to be more
refined than a bucket.
Try one of the rectangular boxes a minimum of about 45cmX30cmX25cm deep with
a lid which seals.
Put water and detergent in and mix before adding the items to be washed.
Don't use too much water. The things should rub together not float
seperately, it's the friction of them rubbing together that does the washing
(think of all those folk on river banks bashing their linen on the stones!).
The water is a medium to carry the 'dirt', the detergent acts as a stain or
grease etc remover.
Having washed then you will have to rinse by hand but that's nothing like as
hard as the washing part.

I speak with some experience (but not of this method!) as I spent the whole
of my working life in laundry management.

Gillian (now retired)

Old December 23rd 03, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
klyne

--

"Ben" wrote in message
news
We full-time and would like to be able to wash clothes onboard. Drying is
not a problem, just a few hours in the shower with the heating on.

We have enough garage space, payload, water and power for a domestic
washing machine but ONLY JUST. Does anyone know of a smaller, lighter and
less power hungry option (NOT handwashing in the sink, however!)

Regards

Ben

You used to be able to buy half price front loaders, athough as far as price
was concerned there was little difference between full size machines. Check
out a branch of John Lewis because I know they used to sell them.

However, if you buy one of these machines you must be aware that you will
need a pretty solid floor to stop it bouncing around, or alternatively find
some way to fix it down.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk
site reports