Bike racks in Spain

Old December 26th 03, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Les Rose

Default Bike racks in Spain

I heard a rumour, apparently via a magazine, that any protruding rear loads
are illegal in Spain. Presumably that means bike racks. Is this true?

Old December 28th 03, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Bob Douglas

"Les Rose" wrote in message
I heard a rumour, apparently via a magazine, that any protruding rear

loads
are illegal in Spain. Presumably that means bike racks. Is this true?

Les,

the stories I've seen all relate to Portugal (and even then the basis has
been questioned).

I have a Spanish built motorcaravan, (Benimar) which is factory fitted with
a bike rack. (Yes- it was definitely at the factory!)

Apparently (not to hand at the moment, but I have read it), Benimar have
confirmed that such a fitting is legal.

Bob
--
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00

Old December 28th 03, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Les Rose

"Bob Douglas" wrote in message
"Les Rose" wrote in message
I heard a rumour, apparently via a magazine, that any protruding rear

loads
are illegal in Spain. Presumably that means bike racks. Is this true?

Les,

the stories I've seen all relate to Portugal (and even then the basis has
been questioned).

I have a Spanish built motorcaravan, (Benimar) which is factory fitted

with
a bike rack. (Yes- it was definitely at the factory!)

Apparently (not to hand at the moment, but I have read it), Benimar have
confirmed that such a fitting is legal.

Bob
--
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00

Thanks. I suppose I could always ask the Spanish embassy but this is quicker
and more fun.

Old December 31st 03, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
AC

In article , Les Rose
writes
that any protruding rear
loads are illegal in Spain. Presumably that means bike racks

I notice that some continental MHers use a large warning triangle on the
back end of the bikes. Some places have them on sale, and we have one. I
have no idea of the detail legal position, but in an accident, it would
help strengthen one's case if bikes were well marked. The sign is
glorified corrugated plastic and was 5 pounds.

Interestingly, it has helped me personally, as a pedestrian,(!) to avoid
banging in to our bikes, - which are not always fitted, when I have
walked around to the back of the MH.
--
AC
Old January 3rd 04, 06:13 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Gerry[_2_]

Les,

Simple answer is that if it is a motorhome registered in the UK and only
used in the EU for holidays then if it is legal in the UK then it is legal
anywhere in the EU.

The only minor exception is in Italy where a warning board must be used for
any rear projection. If in doubt get one of these boards and use it in
Spain. They are made by Fiamma and available in any Motorhome dealership.

Gerry

Old January 6th 04, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Les Rose

"Les Rose" wrote in message
I heard a rumour, apparently via a magazine, that any protruding rear

loads
are illegal in Spain. Presumably that means bike racks. Is this true?

Thanks folks. I have the warning board which is home-made!