French sites in March

Old January 4th 04, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Eric[_2_]

Default French sites in March

We shall be travelling south through France at the end of March and are
looking for a couple of camps that will be reliably open so that we can get
the use of some electricity.

Any of the main routes between, say, east-west lines through Orleans and
Toulouse/Millau, is the kind of area we are anxious about. There are a few
'open all year' sites mentioned in the CC guide but mostly the write-ups
recommend 'checking ahead' (not our kind of thing!). Once we get to the Med
we know exactly where to go.

We have been travelling these routes for many years but never so early and
all of our favourite overnight stops are well and truly ferme.

Any help will be gratefully received.

Eric

Old January 4th 04, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
AC

In article , Eric
writes
We shall be travelling south through France at the end of March and are
looking for a couple of camps that will be reliably open so that we can get
the use of some electricity.

Any of the main routes between, say, east-west lines through Orleans and
Toulouse/Millau, is the kind of area we are anxious about. There are a few
'open all year' sites mentioned in the CC guide but mostly the write-ups
recommend 'checking ahead' (not our kind of thing!). Once we get to the Med
we know exactly where to go.

we found a number of sites which were listed in our guide as being open
towards winter - were in fact closed when we arrived. We learned that
the town and village Aires were apparently never 'closed', and low cost
or free. Problem was - finding them. A guide is available but tends to
sell out after mid summer. Local information offices will have
information. Often the stay is limited to one night.
--
AC
Old January 4th 04, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
gill107

"Eric" wrote in message
We shall be travelling south through France at the end of March and are
looking for a couple of camps that will be reliably open so that we can

get
the use of some electricity.

Any of the main routes between, say, east-west lines through Orleans and
Toulouse/Millau, is the kind of area we are anxious about. There are a few
'open all year' sites mentioned in the CC guide but mostly the write-ups
recommend 'checking ahead' (not our kind of thing!). Once we get to the

Med
we know exactly where to go.

We have been travelling these routes for many years but never so early and
all of our favourite overnight stops are well and truly ferme.

Any help will be gratefully received.

Eric

---------------------------
On our way to Spain in Jan. 3 years ago we stayed at Nancay about 20km NE of
Vierzon.
Come off the Orleans/Vierzon (N20) road at Salbris on to D944 signed
Neuvy-s-Barangeon.
The site, les Pins is on the L hand side before Nancay.
Big gates, I seem to remember. A lot of statics. Not much English from
concierge but instruction seemed to be park on hardstanding next to static
if you wish. We set up among the trees as it was nearer to the small
washroom.

Coming N in Feb. we stopped off at Le Souterraine 10km E off the A20 on the
N145 Gueret road That's about mid way between Vierzon and Brive-la-Gaillarde
the extent of the free autoroute.
The site, Suisse Ocean is at the eastern end of the town so turn off the
Gueret road at the SE entrance to Le Souteraine. The warden lives on site
and we set up on the hard standing a few yards from the toilet block (old
but clean and heated beautifully).

You don't say what time of day and from where you are sailing. If you want a
decent spot near Boulogne with plenty of hard standing if it's wet then
please say.

HTH

Gillian

Old January 4th 04, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
gill107

"Eric" wrote in message
We shall be travelling south through France at the end of March and are
looking for a couple of camps that will be reliably open so that we can

get
the use of some electricity.

Any help will be gratefully received.

Eric

---------------------------------
If you want a safe aire, open all year and with electricity off the A20.
We have used Sadroc about 25km N of Brive. W of the A20 between J46 and J47.
It is up a slope behind the village shop and electricity is from a box on
the long wall. We left the van and walked to find the aire as it's not
immediately obvious from the road in.
There is water and toilet emptying at a non standard insrallation.
It is safe and quiet.

Gillian

Old January 7th 04, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Eric[_2_]

Gillian

Many thanks for your very helpful replies. I apologise for not answering
before.

We have tended to shy off aires recently, from the security point of view,
but the one you mention at Sadroc sounds very interesting. I did buy the
current edition of 'Aires de Service' last year and I see that Sadroc is
listed in there. We may well try that. How does one pay for the electricity?

We land at Calais and one can park there all night, either on the promenade
camping-car area or in the ferry terminal, but I would welcome info on your
Boulogne site, please.

Furthermore, I now find that I have made a mistake about my first night's
stay near Troyes. The camp we had intended to use is not open, as I had
thought, so I now need something further north than the area I originally
mentioned, as well.

The only problem is, we really do want a hook-up as the nights can still be
very cold at the end of March, of course!

Once again, many thanks.

Eric

(Weymouth)

Old January 8th 04, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
gill107

"gill107" wrote in message

"Eric" wrote in message
We shall be travelling south through France at the end of March and are
looking for a couple of camps that will be reliably open so that we can

get
the use of some electricity.

Any help will be gratefully received.

Eric

---------------------------------
If you want a safe aire, open all year and with electricity off the A20.
We have used Sadroc about 25km N of Brive. W of the A20 between J46 and

J47.
--------------------------
Hi Eric
Still haven't seen your reply on my newsreader but have picked up your need
through Google.

Campsite, Troyes area.
Go to www.francecamping.com
In the search box type 'permanent'
This will bring up about 1700 sites open all year all over Europe.
(as an aside, if you type 'caravaneige' it brings up sites near to winter
sports)
The list can be searched in various ways as you can see from the list across
the top of the main list of campsites.
May I suggest that you try 'site web' first as this reduces the list to 60.
See if any of these are in the dept/area you want to stay as presumably you
can then email for booking.

If this is fruitless you can then try a wider search method.

HtH

Gillian

PS There is an aire on the side of the canal at Catillon sur Sambre (59)
open all year and with free electricity but perhaps this is too far N and
not far enough from Calais.

Old January 10th 04, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
AC

In article , Eric
writes
We have tended to shy off aires recently, from the security point of
view, but the one you mention at Sadroc sounds very interesting. I did
buy the current edition of 'Aires de Service' last year and I see that
Sadroc is listed in there. We may well try that. How does one pay for
the electricity?

We were new (still are) to aires, but found that even in
October/November at least a couple of French MH's turned up too, and the
apparent popularity was reassuring. Anyway, the locations turned out to
feel safe.

Ones we found did not offer electricity, but we spoke to another uk
tourer and they said they had seen a free elec. hookup!. Heard that 20
minutes (?) of elec. might be via a coin slot elsewhere.
--
AC
Old January 10th 04, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
gill107

"gill107" wrote in message
If you want a safe aire, open all year and with electricity off the A20.
We have used Sadroc about 25km N of Brive. W of the A20 between J46 and

J47.
--------------------------

Sadroc has free electricity, just plug into the wall box. A French splitter
might prove useful if there are a few there.

Gillian

Old January 10th 04, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
gill107

"AC" wrote in message

We were new (still are) to aires, but found that even in
October/November at least a couple of French MH's turned up too, and the
apparent popularity was reassuring. Anyway, the locations turned out to
feel safe.

Ones we found did not offer electricity, but we spoke to another uk
tourer and they said they had seen a free elec. hookup!. Heard that 20
minutes (?) of elec. might be via a coin slot elsewhere.
--
AC

-------------------------------
It varies from one to next.
With electricity sometimes it's free and sometimes you can plug into the
borne and buy 10 or 20 minutes for a euro.
Sometimes the water's free and sometimes it's 10 mins with a coin. We mostly
use a couple of 5 litre containers to fill up and we have found we can
comfortably fill up the tank in the 10 mins. It's probably set for 100
litres in 10 mins.
On some aires you need a token rather than a coin. this can usually be
bought from local shops or bar. Sometimes the Marie.

There are quite a lot of these aires which are free but I believe the number
of free ones is reducing slowly.

Some where the services are free have a charge if you stay the night but
that is still usually much cheaper than a local campsite.

We have stayed over on about 80 different aires and no two seem to be the
same.

We have our favourites where we have stayed more than once (or twice)

Gillian.