Leisure battery in an old Talbot Autosleeper...How?

Old January 6th 04, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Graham

Default Leisure battery in an old Talbot Autosleeper...How?

Hi there,
I have a G-reg Talbot Autosleeper with the original vehicle battery only and
zig unit arrangement. Even after a one night stop I start to worry if we'll
be able to start it in the morning! How do you install a leisure battery in
this setup? Does anyone have any wiring diagrams or useful info?
thanks in anticipation.

Graham
[email protected](delete this spam-blocker).co.uk

Old January 6th 04, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Graham

Hi Tone,
having said it's a zig unit I've just had a look at it and it's only got the
autosleeper logo on it. Looks like a zig unit though, i'ts an anodised
aluminium panel, black border around 9 gold sections devided as follows
(left to right)
1. water tank (labcraft meter) press to check level
2. charger unit. mains input supply on, battery on charge, battery
condition - fully charged, normal, low charge
3. two capped sockets
4. water pump on/off - 7.5 amp fuse
5. refrigerator on/off - 10 amp fuse
6. fuse
7. fuse
8. fuse
9. fuse
these last 4 fuses are grouped in square pattern.

reading this back I think it will be a minor miracle if anyone recognises it
but there we go!
any help appreciated.
Graham.

"Tone" wrote in message
s.com...
On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 13:40:23 -0000, "Graham"
grahamATpondskaterDOTcoDOTuk wrote:

Hi there,
I have a G-reg Talbot Autosleeper with the original vehicle battery only

and
zig unit arrangement. Even after a one night stop I start to worry if

we'll
be able to start it in the morning! How do you install a leisure battery

in
this setup? Does anyone have any wiring diagrams or useful info?
thanks in anticipation.

Graham
[email protected](delete this spam-blocker).co.uk

What model Zig is it as I have a wiring diag for a CF8

Old January 7th 04, 08:25 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Graham

Hi Tone,
There's never been a leisure battery in the setup, so it will be a question
of a new installation. Reading between the lines what I have to do is
seperate the vehicle wiring from the "accomodation" wiring but charge both
batteries by using a split charge relay, any idea where I can find such as a
thing? (and is that a fair description of what's required?)
Graham.

"Tone" wrote in message
s.com...
On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 21:27:55 -0000, "Graham"
[...]

HMMMM
What wires do you have coming out of the back?

If you can trace the wires from the unit to your main battery that
would be a start, then look for a place where a separate battery has
been kept and chech for any unconnected wires round there.
If you can trace these then they can be tested for an out put when the
engine is running.
Failing that you could install another battery and then run a split
charge relay from the feed to your main battery across to your leisure
battery

ws.com...

Old January 7th 04, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
SandS

"Tone" wrote in message
s.com...
On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 09:25:01 -0000, "Graham"
grahamATpondskaterDOTcoDOTuk wrote:

Hi Tone,
There's never been a leisure battery in the setup, so it will

be a question
of a new installation. Reading between the lines what I have

to do is
seperate the vehicle wiring from the "accomodation" wiring but

charge both
batteries by using a split charge relay, any idea where I can

find such as a
thing? (and is that a fair description of what's required?)
Graham.

Looking at what you have it would be simple to install a proper

Zig
unit, alternatively many places like

www.rainbowconversions.co.uk will
have one (as well as a Zig Unit)

Halfords also do split charge relays in their caravan / trailer
sections.

Old January 7th 04, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
CampinGazz

"SandS" wrote in message

"Tone" wrote in message
s.com...
Halfords also do split charge relays in their caravan / trailer
sections.

Shamless plug for my site, www.kampenwagen.co.uk
go to the Kamper tech pages, and the electrickery pages, then select split
charge,

i'm updating that part of the site at the moment, but the basic split charge
layout and explanation is there,

some places charge 20 quid or more for a split charge relay.. it's just a
standard automotive relay, few bits of wire and a fuse or 2, cost about 3 or
4 quid to replicate using individual components, you just need the wiring
diagram.. which is on my site and aimed at motorhomes, shop bought split
charge relays tend to be aimed at caravanners, so tell you how to wire it to
the 12S socket, which you dont do on a motorhome.

Old January 7th 04, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Graham[_4_]

Fantastic, thanks for all the help everyone. I suspect I will be found with
soldering iron in hand sometime in the next couple of weeks!
regards
Graham.

"CampinGazz" wrote in message

"SandS" wrote in message