Storing motorcaravan on the continent?

Old January 7th 04, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
MrFalafel

Default Storing motorcaravan on the continent?

Is this a crazy idea?

I'm interested in buying an old VW Type 2 campervan. It's a LHD but I
plan on doing most touring on the continent with it. With this in mind
I came up with the following idea:

Why not just store the van near a major airport, such as amsterdam? I
could fly over from the UK, pick up the van and start my tour without
the hassle of driving to the continent (or expense of getting it
across the channel).

Has anyone done this? What about registration? Any ideas on
costs/saftey of storage?

Thanks for your patience. I'm new to all of this.
Old June 3rd 04, 11:45 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Jimbo

Has anyone done this? What about registration? Any ideas on
costs/saftey of storage?

Well I have sort of, done this in reverse

I used to live in a terraced house in Sunderland with a large yard

A German family left their VW travel home with us in our back-yard
We could use it if we wanted but never did (not worth the effort to
insure etc)
They used to come over drive around for a few weeks then bring it back.

We had the enjoyment of meeting new people, and they used to give us
nice wine and food, (obviously the cost to them was cheaper than
official
parking etc and our yard was empthy anyway) a good time was had by all
is that not what it is all about

Would it not be nice if we could ALL reciprotcate

Dump the van at MS Madmoselle Frogs back yard and get the ferry home
Ms Frog does the same our end

Jimbo
Chillu chi nun si fa l'affari sua, cc¨ la linterna va circann¨ guai:
He who doesn't mind his own business uses his lantern to look for
trouble.