engine sizing

Old January 8th 04, 09:07 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
simon wood

Default engine sizing

Hiya..New to this group so would really appreciate some help. I am wanting
to buy my first motorhome after caravanning for 20 years.Why do they make
1.9 D and TD...Are they not way too low powered to pull a 20 to 24 foot
motorhome.Is the 2.5 TDI big enough for a 6 berth 23 foot Fiat Autotrail
Cheyanne and could I ever consider towing a small vehicle with it...Please
see my other posting for more help on the fiats..thank you....Simon

Old January 8th 04, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
SH[_2_]

Simon
You do have a point regarding engine size but I have a 2.0JTD McLouis which
copes surprisingly well considering the size of the van nearly 21ft with
overhead cab.
Put it this way, in October I travelled back from Cornwall on the motorways
at an average of 65mph frequently drifting to speeds of 70 & over and this
was not taxing the engine. Of course an engine of this size will run out of
grunt especially on a long incline typical of so many motorway hills.
Changing down a gear will bring the motor up to speed.
I don't think it's worth considering anything that is non turbo.
If you are considering towing a car then a 2.5TD or 2.8TD or JTD is a much
better bet.
I have not had experience of towing with them but have seen plenty on
motorways tugging a small car or trailer behind.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Old January 8th 04, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
simon wood

hiya steve
please can you let me know what a JTD is ???.......The reason I was against
1.9 and 2.0 is that my mate has just bought an 18 foot overhead cab
peugeot boxer motorhome with a 2.5 diesel(not turbo) and as you stated even
when unloaded it struggles up the hills.Goodness knows what it will be like
packed up for a 3 weeks holiday....I am always thinking bigger power as I
like to have a bit in reserve rather than caning an engine at full throttle
all day long....Thanks for your reply

simon

Old January 8th 04, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
SH[_2_]

Simon
The Fiat JTD diesel is a common rail diesel engine (new breed about 2 years
months ago) It is a turbo diesel that has a more efficient method of
injection that is governed by an ECU (electronic control unit). The 2.0JTD
does not have an intercooler but the 2.3JTD & 2.8JTD does.
Before you ask me, an intercooler as a radiator like unit that removes heat
from the combustion air before it enters the engine. Cooler air is more
dense & contains more oxygen - more oxygen means a bigger bang, hence more
power.
The 2.5TDI that you are looking at has an intercooler.

Steve

Old January 9th 04, 07:22 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Les Rose

"simon wood" wrote in message
Hiya..New to this group so would really appreciate some help. I am

wanting
to buy my first motorhome after caravanning for 20 years.Why do they

make
1.9 D and TD...Are they not way too low powered to pull a 20 to 24

foot
motorhome.Is the 2.5 TDI big enough for a 6 berth 23 foot Fiat

Autotrail
Cheyanne and could I ever consider towing a small vehicle with

it...Please
see my other posting for more help on the fiats..thank you....Simon

When looking for a motorhome we tried quite a few and the non-trurbo ones
were not very interesting on the road. We eventually settled on the Hymer
A-class with 2.5 TD (intercooled). One other point is that the A-class shape
is much less affected by headwinds so you can maintain speed more easily
especially on exposed motorways. It lopes along at 70 and we've had it up to
85 in France. And it still does 30 mpg! All this is without towing though. I
would definitely not want to tow anything with less power than I have now.
Of course a little 2-berth unit will be OK with a 2.0 L engine, it's just a
matter of power to weight.