FIAT AUTOTRAIL 2.5 td 1994 m REG DETAILS NEEDED

« - | - »

Old January 8th 04, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
simon wood

Default FIAT AUTOTRAIL 2.5 td 1994 m REG DETAILS NEEDED

I have the chance to puchase a Fiat cheyanne 6 berth 2.5 TDI September 1994
(ON a M plate) with alarm, imobiliser, invertor, bike rack, rear seat belts,
top box, PAS, oven, 4 burner cooker, shower etc etc that has done 37000 for
around £16000. It is supposed to be in great condition but has no service
history available.This makes me think I will need a 36000 service (£300) and
a cam belt (£100) to be on the safe side.. Am I doing the right thing ????
Any advice from any of you people would really help me.I dot care if you
think I would not like your answers as I would rather know before purchase
rather than after....Any advice on the FIAT DUCATO base or about the
autotrail construction wouls also be nice..COME ON FOLKS..dont let me
down.....Please help out......Thanking you all in advance for any
contributions you may make...SIMON

Old January 8th 04, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
SH[_2_]

Simon
You say that it's on an M plate - is it the Boxer cab? (rounded - current
styling).
If this is the case - my previous comment on the gear linkage does not apply
as this was resolved on the newer model.
However - there were known problems with the gearbox - predominately 5th
gear. Lots written about it but it isn't quite clear what the cause is. By
the way, this also applies to the Peugeot - same gearbox.
I am on my second new shape Ducato & have not had any issues with the
gearboxes.
It's worth checking the front disc brakes as if the vehicle has spent a lot
of time standing it is likely that they will be corroded on the inside -
again not an insurmountable problem but an expense nevertheless as they will
have to be replaced together with the pads.
Steve

Old January 9th 04, 07:47 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Les Rose

"simon wood" wrote in message
[...]

It sounds a decent deal but I would be quite concerned about the lack of
service history. How does the seller explain this? Vehicles deteriorate even
when standing still. At the very least get a signed statement that the
vehicle has been serviced as per schedule. If they won't, walk away. I think
you should get the seller to service it before sale. Not sure if you reaslly
need a cam belt but worth a try. Our 1995 Hymer has the same mechanicals and
seems tough and reliable. Ours did fail the MOT last year with a lower front
suspension bush - quite surprising with mileage only similar to yours.
I don't know anything about Autotrail construction, but coachbuilts with
overcabs are notorious for developing water leaks after a few years. There
is a thread on this NG right now about this! Also see my comments on your
other thread about A-class vs overcabs. You will need to check this area
very thoroughly before purchase, but even so it can still leak later on.
It's getting towards the troublesome age on an M plate.
A great feature of our Hymer is the rear air suspension. Much better ride
when pumped up and can be used for fine tuning the levelling on site. Worth
having if you can get it.
If this is a private sale, you don't have much consumer protection. When
buying from dealers, they have to warrant under the law that the vehicle is
of merchantable quality, and their obligation extends for 6 years. This
helped us when the gas heating system failed after a year - even though it
was way outside the dealer's 3-month warranty we got them to share the cost.
Of course effectively you pay for that, but it needs to be put into your
calculations.

Old January 9th 04, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
SH[_2_]

Just a point on cam belts - whilst the manufacturer may well advise changing
around the 60k miles mark you also have to take into consideration that they
age and can become brittle.
I thought it sensible to change the cambelt on my previous Ducato after it
was 5 years old even though it only had 15k miles on the clock.
You don't want it to snap when they are doing the emissions test during the
MOT where they can gun the engine quite violently.

Steve
"Les Rose" wrote in message

"simon wood" wrote in message
I have the chance to puchase a Fiat cheyanne 6 berth 2.5 TDI September

1994
(ON a M plate) with alarm, imobiliser, invertor, bike rack, rear seat

belts,
top box, PAS, oven, 4 burner cooker, shower etc etc that has done 37000

for
around £16000. It is supposed to be in great condition but has no

service
history available.This makes me think I will need a 36000 service (£300)

and
a cam belt (£100) to be on the safe side.. Am I doing the right thing

????

Old January 9th 04, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Les Rose

"SH" wrote in message
Just a point on cam belts - whilst the manufacturer may well advise

changing
around the 60k miles mark you also have to take into consideration that

they
age and can become brittle.
I thought it sensible to change the cambelt on my previous Ducato after it
was 5 years old even though it only had 15k miles on the clock.
You don't want it to snap when they are doing the emissions test during

the
MOT where they can gun the engine quite violently.

Steve

Ah.....very good point. Praps I should get it done before we go to Morocco.

Old January 10th 04, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Knut Grøneng

Fiat now recomends 60k km or 5 years, whatever is first.
A broken belt can put you back several k Sterling.

Knut

"Les Rose" skrev i melding