thanks all for avoidance of gypsy MH

Old January 11th 04, 04:07 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
simon wood

Default thanks all for avoidance of gypsy MH

Just a quick thank you to all who gave advice about the FIAT AUTOTRAIL in
the recent posts....It started 2 months ago when I rung the bloke and he was
irish and wanted me to leave a large deposit whilst I got my money through
end of this month....I immediately thought NO WAY as that would have been
the end of my money.Over the last 6 weeks he has rung me but only answered
my questions in single words so I was immediately suspicious as he didnt
sound proud of his Motor home.He didnt seem bothered about the lack of FSH
but described it as in near perfect condition with no marks inside or
out.Considering it was 200 miles away I wanted to be absolutely sure so I
continued ringing him with further questions until I was sure it was worth a
look. Luckily he had to go to his house in Coverntry (120 miles away) so we
arranged to meet close to his house and then drive back to his house for the
inspection...OH what a con.....We met in a morrisons car park 5 minutes from
his house..He wanted me to examine it in the car park...To say it was mark
free was a laugh.2 dents in the side and front and rear bumpers cracked.All
seat covers slightly worn and lost their firmness(well used).Mud and marks
all over the carpets,dead flies all over the van..The shower had been used
that day. the front seat area had a slight smell of urine.The turn round
front seat that he told me about......Didnt.It was fixed.It had been
resealed by the shower and outside and the small locker door under the seats
was letting water in.Under every window for about an inch had light brown
staining.The plate next to the door(gross weight plate perhaps) had been
removed.
He then asked me when I started climbing into the car after telling him I
didnt want it "how much would you like knocking off to take it".I thought to
myself that perhaps the only knocking off had been done to the van from its
previous owner during dark hours....Add onto all the points mentioned that I
would need a 36000 mile service at 310 (he said it didnt need one as he had
changed the oil and filter)and a cambelt(100 and an MOT in 2 months and I
think I had just had my first lesson in how not to buy a motorhome...I now
believe he may have been a contractor and may have been living in it down in
Bristol and may only be selling it due to a finished contract hence his
return to coventry.I never got to see his house and his home phone number
was never answered....Think I'll have to wait a bit longer for the 'right'
one to come along......thanks again all for you help...Might need you again
when I find the next one...Simon