Mains hook up on the Continent

Old January 11th 04, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
major

Default Mains hook up on the Continent

Please Help, Any advice would greatfully received. Had our motorhome
nearly two years now (fiat ducato 2.0 swift sundance 590RL) and we are
looking to take the plunge and go touring europe (mainly france,
belgium, holland and germany) and was wondering what was the mains
hook up on the continent ie are they the same has the UK?. I know
europe runs on 220V but was wondering about the plug to the hook up
point on there sites?. what do i need and where can i get what is
required from?.

TIA.

Tom

PS we live in the wiltshire area.
Old January 11th 04, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans

"major" wrote in message

I know
europe runs on 220V ...

What ever Europe is I thought these days we were the same.

Please reply to News Group.

Old January 11th 04, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Nigel

"major" wrote in message
Please Help, Any advice would greatfully received. Had our motorhome
nearly two years now (fiat ducato 2.0 swift sundance 590RL) and we are
looking to take the plunge and go touring europe (mainly france,
belgium, holland and germany) and was wondering what was the mains
hook up on the continent ie are they the same has the UK?. I know
europe runs on 220V but was wondering about the plug to the hook up
point on there sites?. what do i need and where can i get what is
required from?.

TIA.

Tom

PS we live in the wiltshire area.

Tom:

The answer is . . . it depends!

Many sites in Europe now use the familiar blue plugs/sockets that we have in
the UK. However there are still many sites that use a two pin (round)
plug/socket that you would normally see in a house.

Go to any caravan/motorhome accessory shop and you can buy an adapter to
take with you.

Nigel.

Old January 11th 04, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
major

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 22:41:18 -0000, "Nigel"
wrote:

"major" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks nigel off to the shop tomorrow :-)
Old January 12th 04, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Phil

wrote:

Go to any caravan/motorhome accessory shop and you can buy an adapter to
take with you.

Or, if you are adept with screwdriver and pliers you can DIY. Take
with you an IEE blue socket (obtainable from most caravan accessory
shops) and a short length of 3-core cable. Then, when in France, buy a
French plug and wire up an adaptor yourself. (You can pick up a plug
in most good supermarkets.)

It is also wise to have a polarity rerversing adaptor with you. I
believe you can buy these in this country - or you can make one up for
yourself.

Phil
Old January 12th 04, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
MikeE

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 22:41:18 +0000, Nigel wrote:

"major" wrote in message
snip
wondering what was the mains
hook up on the continent ie are they the same has the UK?. I know
europe runs on 220V but was wondering about the plug to the hook up
point on there sites?.

snip

Many sites in Europe now use the familiar blue plugs/sockets that we have in
the UK. However there are still many sites that use a two pin (round)
plug/socket that you would normally see in a house.

Go to any caravan/motorhome accessory shop and you can buy an adapter to
take with you.

Tom

Another point to watch is that in the UK the convention is to switch the
'live' wire only - so polarity (i.e. Live vs Neutral) matters.
On the continent they generally switch both Live and Neutral - so the
polarity doesn't matter so much and therefore the polarity of the mains
supply can often be reversed; particularly where the supply is delivered
by a 'house' type socket. Any good accesory shop will sell you a
polarity tester and a reverse wired adapter for a few pounds.

Mike

Old January 12th 04, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
klyne

--
"major" wrote in message
Please Help, Any advice would greatfully received. Had our motorhome
nearly two years now (fiat ducato 2.0 swift sundance 590RL) and we are
looking to take the plunge and go touring europe (mainly france,
belgium, holland and germany) and was wondering what was the mains
hook up on the continent ie are they the same has the UK?. I know
europe runs on 220V but was wondering about the plug to the hook up
point on there sites?. what do i need and where can i get what is
required from?.

TIA.

Tom

Have a look at the help and information section of my website for straight
forward information of Continental electrics.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk
site reports

Old January 12th 04, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Paul Jerome[_3_]

"David" wrote in message

"major" wrote in message

I know
europe runs on 220V ...

What ever Europe is I thought these days we were the same.

Please reply to News Group.

Technically we are all 230V now. Neither us or them actually changed
voltages, we just mucked about with the allowed tolerance.

Paul