Ducato temp gauge

Old January 12th 04, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
flashgorman

Default Ducato temp gauge

Hi,

I have a boxer 1.9TD ducato and the temperature gauge seems to be stuck on
maximum. From cold as soon as I turn on the ignition, the needle goes from 0
to all the way past the 130 degree mark and sits there until I turn the
engine off again.

The engine is not getting too hot, plenty of coolant, no leaks etc.

Any clues as to where to start?

TIA

--
Flash Gorman.

www.flashgorman.com

Old January 12th 04, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
SH[_2_]

My previous Ducato had an erratic temp gauge - sometimes the reading was ok
other times the gauge read hot or flickered between zero & hot.
Various advice was given from a poor connections to a specific reference to
the main connection to the
main wiring loom behind the dash by the right footwell.
All of these were tackled with varying success which only lasted for a short
while.
Success finally came when I changed the sender unit - difficult to get to as
it resides on the side of the block behind the diesel injection pipes.

If you are getting a reading on a meter linked between the sender terminal &
an earth then it is probably the sender unit.

Steve

Old January 13th 04, 08:13 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
flashgorman

"Tone" wrote in message
s.com...
On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 12:27:46 -0000, "flashgorman"
wrote:

Hi,

I have a boxer 1.9TD ducato and the temperature gauge seems to be stuck

on
maximum. From cold as soon as I turn on the ignition, the needle goes

from 0
to all the way past the 130 degree mark and sits there until I turn the
engine off again.

The engine is not getting too hot, plenty of coolant, no leaks etc.

Any clues as to where to start?

Take a look at the feed wire going to the temp sensor. and thence up
to the actual guage.
Look for cuts or shorts in the circuit and try to test it if possible.
Failing that it might just be the sensor that is knackered as the
guage seems to be working. But I would suspect a small short in the
wire somewhere, or maybe even the terminal came off and is running
straigh to earth ?

HHMMM just a thought too, is there a Voltage regulator in that circuit
as they can go tits up sometimes but that usually results in a
completely zero guage reading.

Cheers. Any idea where the temp sensor is on a ducato? Is it on the
radiator?

Old January 13th 04, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
gill107

"SH" wrote in message
My previous Ducato had an erratic temp gauge - sometimes the reading was

ok
other times the gauge read hot or flickered between zero & hot.

--------------------------
We also had one on our 99 Fiat 2.8iDT.
We would be driving along a motorway at 55/60 under no pressure (not
overtaking, no long hill) when the temp would start to go up into the
'wrong' zone. Fearing the worst we would be looking for the next service
area but before we could get there it was back to normal.
Got used to it!
Now got a 2000/2001 Peugeot 2.8HDI. Any bad news there?

Gillian

Old January 13th 04, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Knut Grøneng

Ohh, this sounds as it is a grounding problem on the temp sensor.
What most uses today is measuring the resistance over the sensor to ground.
Sitting in the radiator the you may have a loose grounding connection for
the rad.

The Euro-chassi (Fiat/Peugot/Citroen) is sharing most components, but no big
known issues with the HDI/JTD engines

Knut

"gill107" skrev i melding