Hymer 544 on fiat ducato 2.5D

Old January 15th 04, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
simon wood

Default Hymer 544 on fiat ducato 2.5D

Anyone know anything good or bad about the above model.Have got chance to
purchase but know very little about them.Its got 40k miles and seems in good
condition

cheers

simon

Old January 16th 04, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Les Rose

"simon wood" wrote in message
Anyone know anything good or bad about the above model.Have got chance to
purchase but know very little about them.Its got 40k miles and seems in

good
condition

cheers

simon

Presumably you mean B544. This is what we have. Ours is 1995, imported from
Belgium so LHD (no probs as mostly used abroad). We looked at a great many
A-class layouts and this was the only one we saw which seated 5 very
comfortably round the dining table. The drop down bed is probably the best
feature, as it makes the best use of space that I have seen while keeping
overall height reasonable. Interior fittings are very good quality compared
with a lot we looked at.

We usually travel with 5 adults so I have fitted a rather complex mounting
for an extra 3-point seat belt, as there are only 3 x 3-points and 2 x
2-points as standard (maybe more with current model?). The rear seats are
not all that confortable for travelling as they are too upright, so if you
have this size of crew you may want to play musical chairs a bit. The cab
seats are very good and both swivel on ours.

The only real design problem was the shower curtain and shower head which
are very strangely positioned. I have sorted this out now by reversing the
curtain rail and moving the shower head bracket.

There have been 2 slightly expensive problems. The Truma gas heater packed
up and we ended up with a new circuit board, combustion fan, fusible link
and other odd bits. It took 12 weeks to sort out because Truma UK parts
service is terrible. Then it failed the MOT with a worn lower suspension
joint - surprising as mileage is similar to yours. Nothing else of note
though. There is the usual wind noise round the driver's door but that's par
for the course and not too bad. It's very nice on the road as 70 mph
cruising is very easy and hill climbing excellent. 30 mpg on motorways, 26
in the mountains. But we do have the 116 bhp turbo-diesel. At risk of
raising the ire of 'Tone' again, I would not have it without the turbo. We
flogged it over the Great St Bernard Pass last year without a falter.
Handling good for what it is, a delivery van. I just wish it could be a bit
quieter and ride better. However we have air suspension on the back which
helps a lot by reducing bouncing. Presumably you have power steering? Don't
have it without.

The other attraction of A-class for me is lower drag than coachbuilts with
overcabs, so maintaining cruise seems easier. Plus of course unitary body so
less risk of leaking joints. The Ducato underpinnings are pretty solid and
very widely used on motorhomes, so you can have confidence in that. Overall,
I can recommend the B544.

Old January 16th 04, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
simon wood

just to clarify this is a coachbuilt hymer swing 544 on a fiat ducato 2.5D
base and not an A class body

Old January 16th 04, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Les Rose

"simon wood" wrote in message
Anyone know anything good or bad about the above model.Have got chance

purchase but know very little about them.Its got 40k miles and seems in

good
condition

cheers

simon

.....in which case I have told you all the wrong things - except for the
Ducato comments and the general quality. I would still go for the turbo
though, probably even more so for a coachbuilt.

Old January 16th 04, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
SH[_2_]

"Tone" wrote in message

"simon wood" wrote in message
Anyone know anything good or bad about the above model.Have got

chance
purchase but know very little about them.Its got 40k miles and seems

in
good
condition

cheers

simon

....in which case I have told you all the wrong things - except for the
Ducato comments and the general quality. I would still go for the turbo
though, probably even more so for a coachbuilt.

Turbo's eh ???????

HMMMMM........................

Non-Turbo's uuugh!!!!

:-)

Old January 17th 04, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Knut Grøneng

"SH" skrev i melding

"Tone" wrote in message

Turbo's eh ???????

HMMMMM........................

Non-Turbo's uuugh!!!!

:-)

Yeah, with that heavy build you will normally run with a weight of close to
3500 kg (Max allowed!)
Given the gear ratio you should count on the 5. gear only for downhill use
without a turbo on the 2.5 engine.

But of cause some people love to be the first in a long queue :-)

I prefeer to use the smaller roads, both uphill and downhill so I need a
flexibility that the NA does not give a heavyweighter like this.

The wind-drag would not be a problem without the turbo, you would not have
the speed needed.

Old January 18th 04, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
AC

In article , simon wood
writes
just to clarify this is a coachbuilt hymer swing 544 on a fiat ducato 2.5D
base and not an A class body

Maybe for future reference (?) -
Hymer-specific (MotorHome) list:
AC Hymer-specific (MotorHome) list: