Turbo Diesels or Non Turbo

Old January 17th 04, 07:28 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Glen[_2_]

Default Turbo Diesels or Non Turbo

Some of the comments in the previous postings seem to indicate that turbo
diesels in motorhomes are unnecessary and unreliable.
I am confused, as most motorhomes are turbos I assume that this is because
the base commercial van is also a turbo.
Why are the manufacturers producing them if they are going to be unreliable?

Old January 17th 04, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Hoot!!![_2_]

turbo diesels in motorhomes are reliable.
they are the same engine used in fleet vans
Fiat are ok Pugs engines are the best

Old January 17th 04, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
CampinGazz

"Hoot!!!" (nospam) wrote in message
turbo diesels in motorhomes are reliable.
they are the same engine used in fleet vans
Fiat are ok Pugs engines are the best

Shame their gearbox's aint the same

Most iveco turbodaily engines see 250,000 hard driven miles, (the real iveco
engines that is, not the old fiat ones pre-G reg, or the ford derived ones)

Mind you dont get many iveco motorhomes, the base van is too damn
expensive.. when a motorhome converter can use a fiat base van that costs 7
grand less they do.. but you dont save all of that money he saved

one thing you don't see is that many pug based delivery vans about, the
motorhome market is their main buyer, too many fleets found out the hard way
the pug and fiat based vans don't last as long as transits or iveco's when
driven by typical fleet drivers.

Old January 18th 04, 09:09 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
AC

In article , Glen
writes
I am confused, as most motorhomes are turbos I assume that this is because
the base commercial van is also a turbo.
Why are the manufacturers producing them if they are going to be unreliable?

we have a Ducato 2.0 turbo (2002 model) for a 3000 Kg max coachbuilt MH.

I suppose it could do with a bit more power, but I am pretty happy with
it, and the 27 mpg which I suppose would reduce for more power. I seem
to drive it faster than I drive the car(!) Incidentally, when a mechanic
accidentally returned it to us with a clip loose (presumably part of the
engine management control system), the turbo came on fast and a lot, the
van went like a bat out of hell.....
--
AC Hymer-specific (MotorHome) list:
Old January 18th 04, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
dario osaris

Hoot!!! wrote:
Pugs engines are the best

what´s PUGS engines ?

Dario

Old January 18th 04, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
QrizB

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 22:37:50 +0000 (UTC), "CampinGazz"
wrote:

one thing you don't see is that many pug based delivery vans about, the
motorhome market is their main buyer, too many fleets found out the hard way
the pug and fiat based vans don't last as long as transits or iveco's when
driven by typical fleet drivers.

Alternatively, I see plenty of Pugeot / Citroen / Fiat vans but they
mostly belong to self-employed traders and small businesses, while the
majority of the Transits and LDVs are fleet vehicles.

--
QrizB

be fooled.
Old January 18th 04, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
ken

I thought they use the same engine.

Ken