laptop gps

Old January 17th 04, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
simon wood

Default laptop gps

Any comments or advice on buying a laptop, satallite mouse and software and
using a Laptop for GPS, as I could then use the laptop as a 15" TV(with a
£50 USB tv decoder) and a DVD player and still have the laptop to keep me
and the kids amused in long stints of bad weather.I know the overall cost
would be greater but I would have a nice laptop to use for the rest of the
year as a bonus.Any comments, recomendations for software or hardware or
reasons why not to, would help me before I squander my money as it is
burning a hole in my pocket at the moment.....cheers...simon

Old January 18th 04, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
David McMillan

Simon

I have done what you are thinking of doing and can recommend it. I
have a Dell Inspiron 8500, Hauppauge USB WinTV, Autoroute 2003 and a
Sapphire USB GPS aerial and I run it off either the vehicle battery or
the leisure battery depending on what we're doing using a 300watt
invertor.

One problem is that the drivers have to be reinstalled occasionally
for the GPS Aerial. Usually after i plug it into a different USB port.

HTH

David

Old January 18th 04, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Knut Grøneng

Use Windows-XP, the driver have been stable for me for almost a year.
But you should always use the same usb-port, as it is numbered and the P-n-P
in windows may get confused.

Knut

"David McMillan" skrev i melding
m...

Old January 19th 04, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Don

I would suggest you have a look at Infomap Navigator from
www.action-replay.co.uk. They attend most of the Caravan and Motorhome
shows and installed mine for me at Shepton Mallet. It's much better
than Autoroute. I wouldn't be without it now although it took me a few
trips to get to grips with it. More my inexperience, that the
computers fault.
It gives visual and voice directions. Automatic recalculation of route
when I go wrong and it rotates the map in the direction of travel.
None of which Autoroute does. I still use Autoroute for route planning
across country borders but that's it now.
I bought the European version bundled with a GPS for £125 but they
also do a cheaper GB only version. Don't know the price on that one.
The GPS works well and normally is locked on by the time I've booted
the laptop and started Navigator.
I used to power my laptop from an inverter but I saw them again at
Shepton a couple of weeks ago and bought a laptop power suppy from
them. Once again, they were terrific and tested my mains lead to make
sure the new one was the right polarity.
I don't have a DVD player in my laptop at the moment but I'm thinking
about either upgrading or buying a new laptop. Doug said they've a new
laptop coming out that has a DVD player, TV out AND a TV card built
in.
BTW, I was told to use the same USB port for the GPS or the PC would
need the drivers reinstalling and the software reconfiguring to use a
different port number.

Don

Old January 19th 04, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
AC

Default laptop gps & TV out

In article , Don
writes
Doug said they've a new
laptop coming out that has a DVD player, TV out AND a TV card built
in

After some frustration with a then - new laptop (now a couple of years
old), which has a dvd player and also tv out I had to read the small
print and saw that some (?) DVD CD etc encryptions are respected by the
hardware in the PC, and 'tv out is disabled..... Of course you can view
th edvd on the laptop screen. I did not follow it up in any depth, life
is busy enough. (Diamomd shape logo in a corner of the pack)

And I heard of newer CD music which is no longer to the 'CD' standard.
Apparently this means that those particular CDs cannot be played in a
computer. This is to prevent people copying.
--
AC
Old January 19th 04, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Jerry[_2_]

I've been building and selling laptops for years and I've never come
across DVD or CD encrytion stopping playback. The only thing I can
think of is DVD regions. USA is region 1 and we're region 2. Most
computer DVD players rely on a progam such as WinDVD for playback and
that allows a limited number of region switches before it fixes on
one. If you have a laptop or pc with a DVD player and want
multi-region capability then you'll need another program such as
DVDRegionFree .
Once again I've never heard of a computer restricting TV-out according
to what you're doing. It is after all, just another monitor.

Old January 19th 04, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Paul Jerome[_3_]

news

wrote:

In article , Don
writes
Doug said they've a new
laptop coming out that has a DVD player, TV out AND a TV card built
in

After some frustration with a then - new laptop (now a couple of years
old), which has a dvd player and also tv out I had to read the small
print and saw that some (?) DVD CD etc encryptions are respected by the
hardware in the PC, and 'tv out is disabled..... Of course you can view
th edvd on the laptop screen. I did not follow it up in any depth, life
is busy enough. (Diamomd shape logo in a corner of the pack)

And I heard of newer CD music which is no longer to the 'CD' standard.
Apparently this means that those particular CDs cannot be played in a
computer. This is to prevent people copying.

It is correct, some modern CDs will not play on a computer because the data
is deliberately corrupted. It is to stop people ripping them to MP3.

Paul

Old January 19th 04, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
AC

In article , Jerry
writes

I've never come
across DVD or CD encrytion stopping playback.

Neither have I, and if I did I would stop buying those cds.

The DVD thing I raised was not about playback, but TV out. The dvd will
still play back, but the hardware has the facility to prevent tv out!
Presumably depending on what the encryption intends. The laptop in
question is a Dell Inspiron 8000, purchased new about 2 and half years
ago. If it was not in use by someone else I could copy you the help file
text. If it is important, I can do this, if you want. Please request if
you want this?

Once again I've never heard of a computer restricting TV-out according
to what you're doing. It is after all, just another monitor.

the hardware, software and information route from DVD interpretation
software through to (external) monitor can easily be subjected to an
interruption?
--
AC

Old January 23rd 04, 08:16 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
[email protected]

I've got an ATI card that can be set to stop TV output
(I've not checked to see if anything does this though)

The 'mangled' music CDs are easily bypassed by holding down the
'shift' key when putting the disc in (in Windows at any rate)
The people who came up with this useless protection scheme threatened
to sue the researcher who pointed out this simple 'workround' !!