Fiat speedo dial in mph and headlamp conversion

Old January 20th 04, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Fred

Default Fiat speedo dial in mph and headlamp conversion

I have just bought a 2002 Hymer B644G on a Fiat AL-KO Ducato 18 chassis in
Belgium. Anybody know where I can buy a speedometer dial, dual marked in
mph and kph.

Also, anybody know how to adjust the headlamps to suit UK.

TIA Fred
Old January 20th 04, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
SH[_2_]

Grey importers - especially those who import Japanese cars are always
changing the speedo's from kph to mph.
They did this on my wife's Toyota Estima.
I'm not saying that they would have anything for the Ducato but they might
be able to put you onto whoever makes the dial stickers they use. By the
way, you would never know it has been done except for the fact that trip
meter/milometer registers in kilometres.

Old January 20th 04, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Gazz

"SH" wrote in message
By the
way, you would never know it has been done except for the fact that trip
meter/milometer registers in kilometres.

untill you come to sell it, and have to convince the prospective purchaser
that the real mileage is actually about half the indicated mileage, even tho
the speedo looks like a uk one

Old January 20th 04, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Nigel

"Fred" wrote in message
I have just bought a 2002 Hymer B644G on a Fiat AL-KO Ducato 18 chassis in
Belgium. Anybody know where I can buy a speedometer dial, dual marked in
mph and kph.

Also, anybody know how to adjust the headlamps to suit UK.

TIA Fred

Hi Fred:

We have the same LHD model as you, imported from Germany.

Yes it is possible to switch the headlights to suit the UK but it's very
fiddly! Takes about an hour per light. Basically you remove the rear of
the light, pull the fitting off, turn it through a quarter of a turn and
replace (there are markers that show LHD and RHD). Sounds simple (but it
isn't!). I recall I got instructions direct from Hella the light
manufacturers.

We leave ours set for LHD, yes the beam does cut off the wrong way, but we
have never been flashed because we dazzle oncoming traffic.

The MOT it interesting as there is no requirement for the speedometer to be
in mph/miles as part of the MOT test - see:
http://www.via.gov.uk/mot/your_vehic...components.htm

Quote:

Components tested during your Car MOT test

Vehicle Identification Number
Not more than one different identification number should be present on a
vehicle first used on or after 1 August 1980. However, the same number may
be displayed in more than one place.
Registration Plate
Condition, security, legibility and format of letters/numbers.
Lights
Condition, operation, security and correct colour. The headlamps will also
be checked to see if the aim is correct.
Steering and Suspension
Correct condition and operation
Wipers/Washers
Operate to give the driver a clear view of the road
Windscreen
Condition and drivers view of the road
Horn
Correct operation and type
Seatbelts
All seatbelts installed are checked for type, condition, operation and
security. All compulsory seatbelts must be in place.
Seats
Front seats secure. Front and rear backseats can be secured in the upright
position.
Fuel System
No leaks, fuel cap fastens correctly and seals securely. The fuel cap will
need to be opened. Make sure the key is available.
Exhaust Emissions
Vehicle meets the requirement for exhaust emission. These vary on the age
and fuel type of the vehicle.
Exhaust System
Complete, secure, without serious leaks and silences effectively.
Vehicle Structure
Free from excessive corrosion or damage in specific areas. No sharp edges.
Doors
Open and close. Latch securely in closed position. Front doors should open
from inside and outside the vehicle. Rear doors may need to be opened to
gain access to testable items.
Mirrors
Presence, condition and security
Wheels and Tyres
Condition, security, tyre size/type and tread depth. Spare tyres are not
inspected.
Brakes
Condition operation and performance (efficiency test). Wheels are not
removed during the test. The tester only examined what they can see, reach
or feel.

Unquote

Though I recall that there is a requirement in some other legislation. Note
your lights will have to be set correctly to pass the MOT test.

Hope that this helps.

Nigel.

Old January 21st 04, 08:11 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Nigel

"Tone" wrote in message
On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 23:28:35 -0000, "Nigel"
wrote:

We have the same LHD model as you, imported from Germany.

Yes it is possible to switch the headlights to suit the UK but it's very
fiddly! Takes about an hour per light. Basically you remove the rear of
the light, pull the fitting off, turn it through a quarter of a turn and
replace (there are markers that show LHD and RHD). Sounds simple (but it
isn't!). I recall I got instructions direct from Hella the light
manufacturers.

We leave ours set for LHD, yes the beam does cut off the wrong way, but

we
have never been flashed because we dazzle oncoming traffic.

How do you pass the MOT with these and are you happy about the
potential dangers you are creating for you fellow motorists ?

The MOT it interesting as there is no requirement for the speedometer to

be
in mph/miles as part of the MOT test - see:
http://www.via.gov.uk/mot/your_vehic...components.htm

Correct.
Though the rear fog light will need to be changed for legal reasons
and any MOT

Quote:

Unquote

Though I recall that there is a requirement in some other legislation.

Note
your lights will have to be set correctly to pass the MOT test.

Hope that this helps.

Nigel.

Hi Tone:

Yes - I forgot about that. This was the one modification that we had
carried out (by our dealer that did the import for us). Pretty simple to do
on a B644G as all you do is swap the fog light over to the other side
(fittings are there already).

Nigel.

Old January 21st 04, 08:32 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Nigel

"Tone" wrote in message
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 09:11:51 -0000, "Nigel"
wrote:

Hi Tone:

Yes - I forgot about that. This was the one modification that we had
carried out (by our dealer that did the import for us). Pretty simple to

do
on a B644G as all you do is swap the fog light over to the other side
(fittings are there already).

Nigel.

But what about the headlights ?
They wont pass a UK MOT

When it's due for its MOT I'll switch the lights - I'll do the fiddly bit
of switching them for LHD, then switch them back after the test. Only need
to do this once a year rather than every time we go to and from continental
Europe.

Nigel.

Old January 21st 04, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
AC

In article , Fred
writes
I have just bought a 2002 Hymer B644G on a Fiat AL-KO Ducato 18 chassis in
Belgium. Anybody know where I can buy a speedometer dial, dual marked in
mph and kph.

Also, anybody know how to adjust the headlamps to suit UK.

it sounds like you have good comments in other responses. However, you
may also like to know there is a hymer MH specific group on
(see sig)
--
AC Hymer-specific (MotorHome) list:
Old January 21st 04, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
AC

In article , Tone
writes
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 10:28:14 +0000, AC
wrote:

In article , Fred
writes
I have just bought a 2002 Hymer B644G on a Fiat AL-KO Ducato 18 chassis in
Belgium. Anybody know where I can buy a speedometer dial, dual marked in
mph and kph.

Also, anybody know how to adjust the headlamps to suit UK.

it sounds like you have good comments in other responses. However, you
may also like to know there is a hymer MH specific group on
(see sig)

I still think it despicable that someone will admit to driving with
incorrectly set Headlamps. Its also totally illegal !

Its bad enough coping with numbskulls who wont dip their lights
without having them shining in your face all the time

(BTW the information you comment on was not from a post of mine....)
Well, it depends on whether the lenses have beam masks or deflectors for
UK use I suppose. It was not said, although I might give benefit of
doubt.
--
AC Hymer-specific (MotorHome) list:
Old January 21st 04, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
CampinGazz

"Tone" wrote in message
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 10:28:14 +0000, AC
wrote:

In article , Fred
writes
I have just bought a 2002 Hymer B644G on a Fiat AL-KO Ducato 18 chassis

in
Belgium. Anybody know where I can buy a speedometer dial, dual marked in
mph and kph.

Also, anybody know how to adjust the headlamps to suit UK.

it sounds like you have good comments in other responses. However, you
may also like to know there is a hymer MH specific group on
(see sig)

I still think it despicable that someone will admit to driving with
incorrectly set Headlamps. Its also totally illegal !

Its bad enough coping with numbskulls who wont dip their lights
without having them shining in your face all the time

You do realise that european headlights (i.e those found in RHD vehicles
bought abroad) don't dip to the side like uk ones do,

i'm trying to figure out how you can be dazzled by someone with the
headlights set for continental use.. unless of course your driving straight
towards them on the same side of the road.

a few friends of mine with landrovers who go on expiditions all the time got
fed up with having to change the lights over everytime they left this
country, beam benders make the lights so crap you wonder why you bothered.

they looked into it, and found out they could legaly use the continental
headlights all the time.. because of the beam pattern.. i.e they dip up and
down, instead of over to one side like uk ones do,
they've been through numerouse MOT's between them, and never got any
comment,

Old January 21st 04, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Nigel

"Tone" wrote in message
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 13:38:10 +0000 (UTC), "CampinGazz"
wrote:

[...]

Strange then that my LMC with the supposed Euro headlights failed its
MOT specifically for that point ??

They are also Illegal

I feel suitable admonished and will be changing the dip at the week-end.

European lights do dip right/left - I think that it's American (USA) lights
that don't have the cut off.

Nigel.