Passengers in campers.

« - | - »

Old January 22nd 04, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Ken

Default Passengers in campers.

Is it legal to travel with passemgers in the back of a motorhome camper?

Ken

Old January 22nd 04, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy R

"Ken" wrote in message

Is it legal to travel with passemgers in the back of a motorhome camper?

Yep.

Rgds

Andy R

Old January 22nd 04, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
HH

"Tone" wrote in message
On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 15:29:24 -0000, "Ken" wrote:

Really ?? Without seat belts?
Ken

Yes

. . and I wouldn't like to be the guy who had to explain to the
relatives of the dead passengers after a bad smash that they'd been thrown
around and bounced off umpteen hard surfaces and sharp corners before their
heads had burst open resulting in a rapid - if painful - death.
Don't even contemplate the idea - please.

Malcolm

Old January 22nd 04, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Leigh

"Ken" wrote in news:[email protected]
text.dial.pipex.com:

Is it legal to travel with passemgers in the back of a motorhome camper?

This is something I asked my local Road Safety division of Staffs Police
and they said, while it is not illegal (unless the vehicle is being towed)
it's not advisable and recommend seatbelts, or, failing that, lapbelts
fixed to solid anchor points.

Same goes for removeable seats, etc - some form of belt with solid anchor
point is advisable as well as a way of making the seat 'secure' while in
motion.

Someone said "what about buses" - a very valid point - our school minibus
has seatbelts and we aren't allowed to move away until we ensure the
students are wearing them.

Are PSVs exempt?

Leigh.....
Old January 22nd 04, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Barleycorn

Bit like any bus then.

Similar to daft reguations imposed on 'Beaters' transport on pheasant
shoots.

The health and safety executive now decrees that all beaters must be seated,
on straw bales usually, with none standing as the tractor and trailer bumps
along at 10 MPH.

Then go up to London and cram into an underground train going 50 MPH through
the tunnels with everyone standing holding on for dear life.

Bloody daft, but who can argue with them?

Barleycorn.

Old January 22nd 04, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Leyland_Leopard

"Leigh" wrote in message

Are PSVs exempt?

Leigh.....

Depends upon a number of factors.

If its being used for private hire (including some schools work), then seat
belts must be fitted - and must be worn where fitted.

For ordinary stage carriage purposes (ie local bus services), seat belts are
not required. But vehicles used for stage carriage purposes have their
speed limiters set at a lower speed than for coaches with seat belts (IIRC
its 100kph for buses, 110kph - 62mph - for coaches)

Old January 23rd 04, 01:24 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Hilary[_2_]

"Ken" wrote in message

Is it legal to travel with passemgers in the back of a motorhome camper?

Apparently yes it is but I wouldnt recommend it either.

Theres a lot of debate about side facing lapbelts causing more damage but I
think I'd still rather have the passengers use those than none at all.
Apart from injury to themselves they become missiles which can kill the
fully belted riders in the front seats.

We strap our dogs travel harnesses to the underseat lapbelt support
structure ( steel rails). I wonder would it reduce lapbelt injury if a full
(racing - 2 straps over the shoulder type??) harness was thusly fixed for a
human?? And would that be legal and more importantly would it satisfy safety
standards and insurers???

Anyone know if theres been any research on this?? I've had a look on the web
but not seen anything so far.

)

Old January 23rd 04, 08:25 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy R

"Ken" wrote in message
Really ?? Without seat belts?

What's that got to do with the price of bread, dickhead?

Andy R

« - | - »