Fresh Water Hoses

Old January 31st 04, 06:52 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Mike Humphreys

Default Fresh Water Hoses

Hi
We are just buying our first motorhome.
What sort of reasonable length of water hose should we have, and what about
tap fittings?
I occasionally see a 'motorhome' wandering about caravan sites with 2 gallon
fresh water bins and I wonder why.
Thanks in anticipation.
Mike

Old January 31st 04, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Paul Jerome[_3_]

"Mike Humphreys" wrote in message
Hi
We are just buying our first motorhome.
What sort of reasonable length of water hose should we have, and what

about
tap fittings?
I occasionally see a 'motorhome' wandering about caravan sites with 2

gallon
fresh water bins and I wonder why.
Thanks in anticipation.
Mike

I started with one of those cassette hoses that you can get from Homebase. I
soon gave up with it, as I found it took longer to roll it up again than it
did to walk to and from the tap with a 2 gallon container!

Paul

Old January 31st 04, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
CampinGazz

"Paul Jerome" wrote in message

"Mike Humphreys" wrote in message
Hi
We are just buying our first motorhome.
What sort of reasonable length of water hose should we have, and what

about
tap fittings?
I occasionally see a 'motorhome' wandering about caravan sites with 2

gallon
fresh water bins and I wonder why.
Thanks in anticipation.
Mike

I started with one of those cassette hoses that you can get from Homebase.

soon gave up with it, as I found it took longer to roll it up again than

it
did to walk to and from the tap with a 2 gallon container!

I use a 10 meter whale aqua source flat hose, sold as an extension hose for
connecting caravans upto the tap, so comes with a set of adaptors etc,
it's food grade quality so no plastic taste or bugs in the hose, but not
htat cheap,

Try C.A.K tanks, they do a flat cassette hose thats drinking water safe, it
takes me 20 seconds to coil my flat hose up, so should be quicker with a
wind in cassette hose,

with a water tank of 150 litres, you have to be very cack handed to take
longer to wind a hose up than make 16 trips with a 2 gallon water jug

But the reason you see people using a water carrier is they cant be bothered
to move the van to the tap, not all pitches are withing hose length of a
water tap, so a fold up water carrier is a good idea for the times when you
dont want to move just to re-fill the tank.. mind you'll have to move
eventualy to empty the waste tank anyway.. but some people use a motorhome
like a caravan.. i.e sit on the one site for weeks at a time, i move every
day to go out sight seeing in my van, so i empty the waste tank as i leave
the site, and fill the fresh as i come back in.

Old January 31st 04, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Ben

It's not light (around 20kg), and it's not cheap (around 70) but we have a
40m Hozelock AutoReel. It's normal green garden hoze, plenty long enough,
fully enclosed and self-layering. That means you can, with some effort, wind
the full 40m back in in around 10 seconds!

We full-time, and find that this is a real boon as it makes water filling a
trivial and quick task. We generally use the system round the 'wrong way'
with the reel on the ground connected to the filler by the supplied short
length. We then run (literally) to the water outlet.

On the subject of fittings, we have a small, and a medium compression type
connector. The rubber jobbies with jubilee clips connected to a butterfly
screw. Also we have the standard two threaded connectors that were supplied
with the hose (I think)

Hope this helps

Ben
--
* Please do not include my message in your reply *

Old February 1st 04, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
gill107

"Mike Humphreys" wrote in message
Hi
We are just buying our first motorhome.
What sort of reasonable length of water hose should we have, and what

about
tap fittings?
I occasionally see a 'motorhome' wandering about caravan sites with 2

gallon
fresh water bins and I wonder why.
Thanks in anticipation.
Mike

-------------------------------
We do most of our motorhoming in France using town and village aires rather
than campsites and use 2 x 5 litre fresh water containers for our drinking
water rather than drink from the tank.
We fill up regularly rather than wait until our water tank is empty and find
that using the 5 litre containers to top up the tank is easier than getting
out the hose. If we can get alongside the borne one of us fills one
container while the other empties the second through a funnel into the
tank. It takes only a few minutes and is within the time set on the bornes
where you have to pay.
We do carry one of the flat hoses on a cassette but rarely use it.

Gillian

Old February 1st 04, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Bob Douglas

"gill107" wrote in message

-------------------------------
We do most of our motorhoming in France using town and village aires

rather
than campsites and use 2 x 5 litre fresh water containers for our drinking
water rather than drink from the tank.
We fill up regularly rather than wait until our water tank is empty and

find
that using the 5 litre containers to top up the tank is easier than

getting
out the hose. If we can get alongside the borne one of us fills one
container while the other empties the second through a funnel into the
tank. It takes only a few minutes and is within the time set on the bornes
where you have to pay.
We do carry one of the flat hoses on a cassette but rarely use it.

Gillian

Ditto (apart from the fact I've stopped carrying the hose!)

A 10litre carrier (with a spout) gets used for a maximum of 24 hours for
drinking and cooking water, then any residual goes in the tank for washing
etc.

At same time, I top up the tank before bringing a fresh 10 litres back in
the carrier.

I never travel with more than around 1/4 full fresh water tank (though we
always have at least 5 litres in the carrier).

In addition, though I have a very fast draining waste tank, I seldom wait
'til its full and then use the waste point - its nearly always got a queue -
generally dump it to a bucket twice a day and use shanks's to dispose.

I'm sure things are different for those wild camping, but the above is much
more convenient for me.

(having seen what the supposed fresh water hoses on many sites are used fro
rinsing out, I tend to be a bit picky about which tap I get my fresh water
from.

Bob
--
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00

Old February 1st 04, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
gill107

"Bob Douglas" wrote in message

[...]

We watched and waited for one French camping-car driver to finish dumping
waste after filling his water tank from the hose provided.
He then pushed the hose back up his waste pipe to flush his tank. He was
quite surprised when we verbally attacked him in bad French but I'm sure he
got the gist of what we said.
I won't go into details of other instances we've seen but we've wiped a few
taps down with disinfectant.

Gillian