importing a motorhome

Old February 16th 04, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Dave Thackeray

Default importing a motorhome

Hi all!

We're about to take the plunge and buy a nice new motorhome from Austria.

Just wanted to hear of anyone else's experiences of importing a 'van for their own use back in Blighty.

The guy we're buying from says we don't need a Fahrzeugbrief because it's brand new; I've looked everywhere to check this out but can't find a definitive answer.

Anyway, any general opinions and thoughts would be most helpful.

Thanks all!

Dave
Old February 16th 04, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy Clarke

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 20:23:23 -0000, Dave Thackeray wrote:

Hi all!

We're about to take the plunge and buy a nice new motorhome from Austria.

Just wanted to hear of anyone else's experiences of importing a 'van for their own use back in Blighty.

The guy we're buying from says we don't need a Fahrzeugbrief because it's brand new; I've looked everywhere to check this out but can't find a definitive answer.

Anyway, any general opinions and thoughts would be most helpful.

Thanks all!

Dave

Presumably if it's new you are buying from a dealer - get them to sort
all the export paperwork, insurance and plates for you as part of the
deal. Austria may be different from Germany, in Germany the Fahrzeugbrief
is proof of title so it may well not be relevant for a new vehicle that
is being exported.

The DVLA should be able to advise you on the paperwork required, and
don't forget you'll need a VAT receipt to keep C&E happy.

--
Andy Clarke

www.UKMotorhomes.net - The UK Motorhome Website - articles, information, free classifieds, etc
Old February 17th 04, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Dave Hardy

Five years ago I picked up my new Mercedes car from the factory at Stuttgart, and I was given a Fahrzeugbrief (registration book) and told not to leave it in the car as it was my proof of title. I believe you have to produce this document at the town hall in order to get the transit number plates.

I assume its the same in Austria?

Old February 17th 04, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
marsden

Dave Thackeray wrote:

We're about to take the plunge and buy a nice new motorhome from Austria.

Just wanted to hear of anyone else's experiences of importing a 'van for
their own use back in Blighty.

Try this:

http://www.motorhome-list.org.uk/importing.htm

Cheers

Another Dave

--
Change nospam to webtribe in e-mail address