Cash in France

Old February 22nd 04, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Jock[_2_]

Default Cash in France

We are spending increasing amounts of time touring in our motorhome in

France - up to 3 months at a time - and find that using a Cirrus card

at various ATMs for withdrawing cash the UK bank charges soon become

prohibitive! Rather than carry large amounts of cash with us - are

there any facilities available to non resisdents to open a French bank

account primarily for cash withdrawal purposes - and would we save

anything by doing so!?

Thanks in advance

Jock

Old February 22nd 04, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Paul - xxx

Jock posted ...

We are spending increasing amounts of time touring in our motorhome in

France - up to 3 months at a time - and find that using a Cirrus card

at various ATMs for withdrawing cash the UK bank charges soon become

prohibitive! Rather than carry large amounts of cash with us - are

there any facilities available to non resisdents to open a French
bank

account primarily for cash withdrawal purposes - and would we save

anything by doing so!?

Can't you just pop into a French bank and ask them .. they ought to know ..

Yes, it is possible, we did it a while ago .. but I really can't remember
the steps we needed to take. I think it required depositing a substantial
(depends upon your viewpoint and available finances I guess) amount of money
in the bank first ...

--
Paul

(8(|) Homer rocks ..

Old February 22nd 04, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
gill107

"Jock" wrote in message
We are spending increasing amounts of time touring in our motorhome in

France - up to 3 months at a time - and find that using a Cirrus card
at various ATMs for withdrawing cash the UK bank charges soon become
prohibitive! Rather than carry large amounts of cash with us - are there any
facilities available to non resisdents to open a French bank
account primarily for cash withdrawal purposes - and would we save

anything by doing so!?

Thanks in advance

Jock

------------------------
Don't know whether this will help:
We use the Caravan Club Credit Card as often as we can (it's issued by
Frizzel, part of the Liverpool Victoria Banking Services group). There is no
additional charge for using abroad.
The only problem we have is that there is no web access to the account so we
do not know our spend in order to pay from our bank account when abroad. We
have given our daughter access to our account and she can pay it from our
on-line bank account when the monthly account is received.

Although we don't use the service ourselves I'm told that with a Nationwide
Flexi-account their card will give you cash abroad with no additional
continental charge.

Gillian

Old February 26th 04, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
klyne

--
"Jock" wrote in message
We are spending increasing amounts of time touring in our motorhome in

France - up to 3 months at a time - and find that using a Cirrus card

at various ATMs for withdrawing cash the UK bank charges soon become

prohibitive! Rather than carry large amounts of cash with us - are

there any facilities available to non resisdents to open a French bank

account primarily for cash withdrawal purposes - and would we save

anything by doing so!?

Thanks in advance

Jock

We spent 10 weeks touring France in 2002 and used ATM's quite frequently but
have to say that I did not notice the charges for using the card
particularly, perhaps I should have looked more closely! We do tend to use
credit cards in supermarkets and campsites that take them and sort
everything out when we get home. If you have the facilities you can access
your on-line banking from your motorhome via a mobile and laptop, (would not
suggest you do not use a public internet connection for this) now that is
expensive a minimum of 30p a minute and an average time online of 10minutes
to check your account and maybe make one payment. An alternative I have used
is to set up a standing order for a minimum payment.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk
site reports

Old March 3rd 04, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
RB News

[...]

Details of our Caravan Travels in the UK and Europe with help and advice

and
site reports

Or get a WiFi card for your laptop and use hot-spots for internet access -
typically costs 10 Euros for 2 hrs total connection time an a 24 hour
period, at faster than broadband speeds. Or you can buy longer periods if
used frequently, at cheaper hourly rates e.g. for 30 Euros either 1
complete 24 hour period OR total 4 hours connection used within 30 days.
You can buy the time online by credit card, it's a doddle.

See
http://www.francetelecom.com/en/fina...eleases/CP_old
/cp040217-2.html
and http://www.orange-wifi.com/