Propex heater probs

Old February 24th 04, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
wildman.[_2_]

Default Propex heater probs

Propex heater 1600.

Heater starts up and runs for quite a while (or increasingly only a couple
of minutes), then shuts down. Originally thought it was shutting down on the
'room' thermostat, but have now found stat is still calling for heat (Do
remember its not too warm at the moment, so I don't think it would be
overheating).

After shutting down for a couple of minutes, the fan only runs for about 15
seconds or so, and shuts down again.

Once the heater has shutdown, the heater doesn't start again for heating
until the unit is switched off and back on (the unit has a permanent
maintained supply, heating or fan only are two separate live feeds, which
are used as the normal run controls for the unit).

There is a small plastic box with the heater (No. 138cr) with two LED's,
which indicate low voltage and flame lit. Low voltage stays dead. Flame lit,
comes on when the burner is on.

Does anyone know what is used for the flame failure? thermocouple or
photocell?

Does anyone know any likely causes as to why I'm experiencing the above
shutdowns?

Old February 24th 04, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Hilary[_2_]

"wildman." wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Propex heater 1600.
Does anyone know any likely causes as to why I'm experiencing the above
shutdowns?

Lack of ventilation seems a possibility. These heaters usually have a
thermal cut out and I'm pretty certain the calor ones had some sort of
oxygen sensing cut out.

)

Old February 24th 04, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
.[_2_]

"wildman." wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Propex heater 1600.

Heater starts up and runs for quite a while (or increasingly only a couple
of minutes), then shuts down. Originally thought it was shutting down on

the
'room' thermostat, but have now found stat is still calling for heat (Do
remember its not too warm at the moment, so I don't think it would be
overheating).

Many years ago I had a similar problem with a Propex heater that was cured
by fitting a new regulator - apparently the old one was giving a little too
much pressure and causing overheating.

Joe

Old February 24th 04, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
wildman.[_2_]

I've checked the vents under the vehicle, and checked easy flow of air
through the secondary side, all okay. But still the same (

"Hilary" wrote in message

"wildman." wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Propex heater 1600.

Old February 24th 04, 11:40 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy Clarke

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 19:01:22 -0000, wildman. wrote:

Propex heater 1600.

Heater starts up and runs for quite a while (or increasingly only a couple
of minutes), then shuts down. Originally thought it was shutting down on the
'room' thermostat, but have now found stat is still calling for heat (Do
remember its not too warm at the moment, so I don't think it would be
overheating).

snip

Are you running propane or butane? I've heard of a similar problem
occurring if these heaters are run on butane in cold weather, they shut
down after a few minutes because the liquid in the gas bottle gets too
cold and doesn't produce sufficient gas.

If that's not the problem, try contacting Propex for advice:
or 023 8052 8555

--
Andy Clarke

www.UKMotorhomes.net - The UK Motorhome Website - articles, information, free classifieds, etc
Old February 25th 04, 03:36 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Hilary[_2_]

"wildman." wrote in message
news:[email protected]
I've checked the vents under the vehicle, and checked easy flow of air
through the secondary side, all okay. But still the same (

I seem to remember ( now the old memory has cut in) having similar probs
years ago with my Alvima Infradex mobile heaters ( like calor) . Their
thermocouples were too sensitive - by this I mean the little "rod" that
sticks out into the flame.

I fixed one by ( when it was off and cool of course) gently brushing the
metal tip with an old tooth brush. A deposit does build up, it looks like
limescale but probably isnt? It didnt work on the other one which ended up
going to Thorcraft under warranty and they changed the thermocouple which
fixed the problem.

HTH

Old February 29th 04, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
wildman.[_2_]

Now tried butane and propane. The propane is better, but not reliable. Looks
like its time to contact Propex.

Thanks for your help.