Talbot Express AS Talisman Questions

Old March 3rd 04, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
SandS

Default Talbot Express AS Talisman Questions

Hi. I'm about to purchase a 1991 Auto-Sleeper Talsiman Coachbuild
(Petrol) and would like some advice / info before looking at it on
Saturday. I'm mechanically very competent but no experience of vans or
motorcaravans beyond an old Bedford pop-top many years ago.

1) Where can I locate the VIN number on the chassis ?

2 I believe the AS roofs are very good at keeping the water out (why is
this) but should I still be checking for damp ? If so where and how?

3) Halfords don't stock a Haynes Manual for this van nor list it in
their limited catalogue. Is there a manual available ?

4) My children are 7yrs and 2yrs old. I don't want the youngest to fall
out of the over-cab bed so thought one of the adults could sleep up
there instead. Does anyone know what the weight limit is for the
overcab beds ? (on a similar note does anyone have experience they
could recount of fitting a bed guard without damaging the original
vehicle too much ?

5) Its been standing for almost a year. Are there any obvious signs of
damage I can look for as a result of this. I have 100miles to drive it
home after I've bought it and I'm paricularly worried about the tyres
although it has just passed its mot.

6) I read that a "Gas Low" meter is a useful tool. Does anyone know
where I can get one in the UK and how much they're likely to cost.

7) Where does one buy spares for a Talbot (i.e. the dealer). Is it part
of the Vauxhall group ?

I have a lot of other questions but they can all wait until I've
purchased it ... hopefully ...

Thank you all,
Steve

Old March 4th 04, 05:52 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
ROBIN DUMPLETON

The Talbot express is a "Sevel" vehicle and therefore mechanically identical
with the Pug J5, Cit C25 and Fiat Ducato and mechanical spares will fit from
all the dealers though we found that Peugeot were the best at supplying
parts other than standard service parts which are available over the
counter.
The original Pug workshop manuals are available from motoringbooks on the
internet but are 50 for the two volumes, which do not have the electrical
section in them.
On the other hand the engine is the "Africa engine" from Peugeot just stood
upright instead of slopy and the Haynes manual for the Pug 504 covers it.
The engine is a mechanicaly simple, pushrod lump, but check coolant as if
not well inhibited corrosion of the Ally head can occur quite rapidly. The
one thing that lets these vehicles down is the gearbox both linkage and box.
The linkage on the gearbox wears and may cause trapped fingers when engaging
first and third but may end up with no selection for reverse. This seemingly
expensive looking malady can be put right by DelFin designs from the Poole
area (Del advertises in the motorhome mags) for relatively low cost. The
syncro on second wears as well so clunks going from first to second and
drive shafts are expensive over 120 a side.
AS are one piece fibreglass roof so don't let in the water unless damaged.
The ladder can be fitted as a bed guard or you can net it. The kids love the
overcabs and mine never fell out. They will take two adults easily.
The petrol is a low output engine (could be worse, it could be the 1900cc
diesel) so expect only 22-24mpg and it is worth looking at an LPG
conversion. Rear springs get very tired due to the continual weight and the
vehicle may get "floppy botty". Cure is new springs or air assistance. Oh
and the petrol cap is in the front wing. It has been known for people to
fill the water tank with petrol thinking it was the petrol tank.
If it has an MOT it should not cause problems driving home.

Robin

Old March 4th 04, 08:37 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
sPoNiX

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 18:49:13 -0000, "SandS"
wrote:

7) Where does one buy spares for a Talbot (i.e. the dealer). Is it part
of the Vauxhall group ?

It is part of Peugeot. Try www.andyspares.com for the more common
spares. AFAIK it is based on the Peugeot Boxer van.

sPoNiX

Old March 4th 04, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
SandS

That's a really helpful reply, thank you for taking the time Robin.
I'll print it off and read it later. I'm particularly pleased that the
ladder can be used as a guard. I found a mesh guard advertised today
for the over-cab bed but it was a tad expensive at 25 plus postage.

Bit dissappointed with the fuel consumption. Still, was that average
mixed driving in town/country or at a steady 60-70 (assuming it will
cruise this fast)?

Got it insured today fully comp with protected NCD and windscreen and
business use and it was still cheaper than my 2.0 Sierra (which I find
amazing). Through Frizzell/CSMA if anyone was interested. CIS was 10
cheaper but wouldn't do it over the phone and wanted to send a rep
instead.

Thanks again,
Steve

Old March 4th 04, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Hilary[_2_]

"SandS" wrote in message
Hi. I'm about to purchase a 1991 Auto-Sleeper Talsiman Coachbuild
motorcaravans beyond an old Bedford pop-top many years ago.

2 I believe the AS roofs are very good at keeping the water out (why is
this) but should I still be checking for damp ? If so where and how?

I usually check the walls in upper cupboards for water marking. You can use
a damp meter but they tend to give a lot of false positive especially if
theres any foil in the construction.

3) Halfords don't stock a Haynes Manual for this van nor list it in
their limited catalogue. Is there a manual available ?

Plenty of Haynes for this type on Ebay www.ebay.co.uk just do a search. I
just put in[Haynes Talbot]. Obviously you need the correct version but over
a few weeks you should strike lucky. Weve found several hard to find ones
here.

5) Its been standing for almost a year. Are there any obvious signs of
damage I can look for as a result of this.

Brakes possibly siezed. You need to check these straight away for safety.

Also unless you know from a receipt or such like that the timing belt has
just been recently replaced I would advise replacing it now. If it goes its
going to do a lot of costly damage.

6) I read that a "Gas Low" meter is a useful tool. Does anyone know
where I can get one in the UK and how much they're likely to cost.

I've seen them in several camper shops. If you have the room you can get an
exchanger (?- not sure what the correct term is) which automatically swaps
to the second cylinder when the first empties. We are still relying on the
tried and tested "the ovens gone cold" method!!!!!!!!!

HTH

)