Calor or Camping Gaz ?

Old April 2nd 04, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
SandS

Default Calor or Camping Gaz ?

Hi. I need to buy a new 7KG Butane bottle very shortly and my
local supplier sells both the types above. I was wondering if one
is more readily available for refills in the UK than the other ?
The van came with one Calor and one "British Gas" but I can't
find a local supplier to refil the British Gas one.

Also is Calor or Camping Gaz readily available in France as I'd
like to take the little ones to Disneyland later in the year?

Thank you,
Steve

Old April 2nd 04, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
QrizB[_2_]

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 21:07:14 +0100, "SandS"
wrote:

Hi. I need to buy a new 7KG Butane bottle very shortly and my
local supplier sells both the types above. I was wondering if one
is more readily available for refills in the UK than the other ?

AFAIAA the biggest Campingaz bottle is the 907 which only holds 2.72kg
of gas. If you want a 7kg bottle then you're looking at Calor (or
looking for a different supplier).

http://www.wirralbottlegas.co.uk/campgaz/cc.htm

Also is Calor or Camping Gaz readily available in France as I'd
like to take the little ones to Disneyland later in the year?

Again AFAIAA, the only sort of gas bottle available in both the UK and
France is Campingaz.

--
QrizB

"On second thought, let's not go to Z'Ha'Dum. It is a silly place."
Old April 2nd 04, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Barleycorn

If you want the 'best of both worlds' you could get an adapter to convert a
camping gaz cylinder to a calor regulator. Calor gas is not available on
the continent. We have an Autosleepers Trooper, which is designed with a gas
locker which will hold one 4.5 kg Calor bottle and one '907' camping gaz.
(??!!) We fill the Calor as required (half the price of Camping Gaz), and
use the 907 as a reserve with the aforementioned converter. The converter
was about 15 quid from our local Calor supplier.
The only thing that I will say is that the Propex heater will not run when
the 907 cylinder gets down to about a third full. Perhaps the regulater is
a different pressure? Any suggestions?

Barleycorn.

Old April 3rd 04, 11:52 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
ROBIN DUMPLETON

British gas is now Flogas
Incidently the cost of a tonne of Butane is 200. When you buy a 907 you're
paying the equivalent of 3600 per tonne.
The 7Kg 1400/tonne.
Who needs to sell drugs to make a fortune ;-))
OK you can stop sniffin the Butane now.

Robin

.. .

Old April 4th 04, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
parkerfamily

But Camping Gaz is very expensive. Can you take enough Calor with you? I
believe that the Ferry companies only allow 3 bottles, but this may be
enough. You could always take 1 Camping Gaz just in case.

John Parker

Old April 5th 04, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
SandS

"parkerfamily" wrote in message
But Camping Gaz is very expensive. Can you take enough Calor

with you? I
believe that the Ferry companies only allow 3 bottles, but this

may be
enough. You could always take 1 Camping Gaz just in case.

John Parker

Thank you for all the replies. I opted for 2 x 7KG Calor bottles
in the end on the basis that most of my touring will be in the UK
and if/when we go to Europe its unlikely that we'll be there long
enough to use up the full spare plus whatever is left in the main
one.

Very interesting about the prices and size of Camping Gaz ... I'd
not looked at that.

Thank again, always very impressed by the advice provided.
Steve