LDV conversion advice needed

Old April 4th 04, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Paul F

Default LDV conversion advice needed

Hello everyone. I'd appreciate your suggestions re. good sources for side
windows for an LDV Pilot van in the UK.

Who is good for fitting windows, particulalrly in the South West area?

Many thanks

Paul F

Old April 5th 04, 12:15 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
riccip

"Paul F" wrote:

Hello everyone. I'd appreciate your suggestions re. good sources for side
windows for an LDV Pilot van in the UK.

Try he http://www.vehicle-marine.co.uk/

However you'll find ex-minibus windows cheaper from a breaker's.
Go here and enter your requirements:
http://parts.autotrader.co.uk/
Anyone who has them will email you back with prices.

Who is good for fitting windows, particulalrly in the South West area?

Most auto glass advertisers in your Yellow Pages will do this.
It's not too difficult for D.I.Y.

riccip
Old April 5th 04, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Paul F

"riccip" wrote in message
Try he http://www.vehicle-marine.co.uk/

However you'll find ex-minibus windows cheaper from a breaker's.
Go here and enter your requirements:
http://parts.autotrader.co.uk/
Anyone who has them will email you back with prices.

Who is good for fitting windows, particulalrly in the South West area?

Most auto glass advertisers in your Yellow Pages will do this.
It's not too difficult for D.I.Y.

riccip

Many thanks for your response, riccip. I'm investigating those ideas.

Can you point me at any instructions about doing the job - do you make up
jigs for cutting the hole, what are the best tools to use, what to do about
sealing the frames etc?

Oll an Gwella

Paul F

Old April 5th 04, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
flashgorman

Might be some stuff on the self build site www.sbmcc.co.uk

Old April 7th 04, 05:18 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
riccip

"Paul F" wrote:

Many thanks for your response, riccip. I'm investigating those ideas.

Can you point me at any instructions about doing the job - do you make up
jigs for cutting the hole, what are the best tools to use, what to do about
sealing the frames etc?

Yes m8. I've had a better look through my disorganised links and
found another two suppliers:

http://www.leisurevehiclewindows.co.uk/
http://www.rainbowconversions.co.uk/windows.htm

If you send for the first one above's catalogue it contains some
fitting instructions. The others possibly might so request all of
them.

It's been a few years since I last did this but as memory serves
it was much easier than expected. You'll need a small
angle-grinder, a jigsaw, some thick working gloves, eye
protection and ear defenders (or at least loads of cotton wool!).
I'm not usually so fussy about safety equipment but the vibration
noise is almost intolerable inside the van.

You only need to make a cardboard "jig" when fitting under-sized
windows. Made-to-measure normally fit at the flange remaining
after the metal panel is removed. Offer them up first to make
sure you are happy in the knowledge of exactly what you are
doing, and phone the supplier if not. But you should see that
it's self apparent.

Start with the angle grinder fitted with a metal cutting disk.
Roughly cut out a smaller hole first, about three-quarters of an
inch inside what will be your final cut. Careful that the grinder
doesn't slip and damage your paintwork at the end of those cuts.

The reason for cutting the first hole is that you use the jigsaw
from outside the van, but need to be inside to see what you are
doing. So you make your final cuts by leaning out to hold the
jigsaw whilst watching from inside. Sounds awkward but it works.
Use good metal-cutting blades, medium to fine cut (I swear by
Bosch personally). You will break a few so buy a multi-pack.
Before starting apply plenty of masking tape to the outside so
the vibrating pad of the jigsaw won't damage your paintwork. If
you can't get in to a small area with the blade, or if the turn
is too tight, cut as close as you can then finish off with the
grinder.

At the end use the grinder to tidy up any rough edges. If the
panel has any bracing struts where the glass will be remove them
with a cold chisel and the grinder. Finally it's just a matter of
"popping" in the glass. The trick here is to wind a length a
strong cord inside the sealing rubbers. With someone pushing from
outside you carefully pull out the cord from inside all the way
around. That part will either be a piece of **** or an utter
bitch. Be patient and try again. You'll be an expert by the end!
I "think" we just used a little clear silicon sealant which also
helped to lube the rubbers.

riccip
Old April 7th 04, 09:23 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Paul F

"riccip" wrote in message
"Paul F" wrote:

Many thanks for your response, riccip. I'm investigating those ideas.

Yes m8. I've had a better look through my disorganised links and
found another two suppliers:

http://www.leisurevehiclewindows.co.uk/
http://www.rainbowconversions.co.uk/windows.htm

(snip loads of useful stuff)

Many thanks for that riccip. Well beyond the call of duty! I wouldn't have
hesitated to just cut away on a boat, but there is something about those big
shiny sides of expensive metal....

I'll get ordering.

(And thanks to you too flashgorman, and what an excellent ename.)

Paul F