Valuing a Ford Transit Camper

Old April 6th 04, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
GTombleson

Default Valuing a Ford Transit Camper

Hello,

A friend of mine has just converted a 1999 Ford Transit 190 LWB High Top
with 70 000 miles on the clock to a campervan..He has spent about 1000
doing the conversion-Fridge-Cupboards,Stove-Beds etc. He will be travelling
Europe in the Summer and then selling the Van onto me on 15th August. I will
then buy it and spend 2 months in Europe and then try and sell the Van upon
my return at the end of October.

The problem we have is trying to work out a value for a camper. I know what
the 'Parkers guide' values the Van at-about 4500 for a private sale. How do
you then Value the conversion?

My friend has spent about 4000 on buying the Van and another 1000 on the
conversion-so he's in for about 5000..How would I work out what I can sell
it for in October-(given that's that's probably the worst time to be selling
a camper!!)

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Gareth

Old April 6th 04, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
sPoNiX

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 10:27:04 +0100, "GTombleson"
wrote:

[...]

It will depend upon the quality of the conversion to a great extent.

I'd say 4000 to 8000 depending upon quality and facilities on board.

sPoNiX
Old April 6th 04, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
GTombleson

Thanks for this advice..

Its not your serious professional conversion..Just a bloke in his shed
making it decent for him and his wife..So he's bought good kit and made a
decent bed-but its by no means a work of art

Sort of somewhere between an Australian van and a retired persons motorhome!

From what you have said I reckon between 4000 and 5000 seems reasonable

--
Gareth Tombleson
(07903) 583320

Old April 6th 04, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
sPoNiX

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 12:26:50 +0100, "GTombleson"
wrote:

Thanks for this advice..

Its not your serious professional conversion..Just a bloke in his shed
making it decent for him and his wife..So he's bought good kit and made a
decent bed-but its by no means a work of art

Sort of somewhere between an Australian van and a retired persons motorhome!

From what you have said I reckon between 4000 and 5000 seems reasonable

Remember, that's only my opinion! It's worth whatever someone is
willing to pay for it!

When he comes to sell it it may be worth putting it on eBay. I have
seen campers on there going for far more than I thought they were
worth.

sPoNiX
Old April 7th 04, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
riccip

"GTombleson" wrote:

A friend of mine has just converted a 1999 Ford Transit 190 LWB High Top
with 70 000 miles on the clock to a campervan..He has spent about 1000
doing the conversion-Fridge-Cupboards,Stove-Beds etc. He will be travelling
Europe in the Summer and then selling the Van onto me on 15th August. I will
then buy it and spend 2 months in Europe and then try and sell the Van upon
my return at the end of October.

The problem we have is trying to work out a value for a camper. I know what
the 'Parkers guide' values the Van at-about 4500 for a private sale. How do
you then Value the conversion?

My friend has spent about 4000 on buying the Van and another 1000 on the
conversion-so he's in for about 5000..How would I work out what I can sell
it for in October-(given that's that's probably the worst time to be selling
a camper!!)

If you both wanted to be absolutely fair you should give him
5000 for the van, then split the difference with him on any
profit at the end.

Personally I would guestimate a late-Autumn value of around
6,500 - 7000, more if you spend a little tarting-up time before
sale. It's a bit like residential property in that a makeover can
add plenty to the price. It's amazing how a nice, functional van
will raise much more with a little trim & carpet, some Fablon &
contrasting edging strip, plus some nice colourful graphics along
the outside.

Throwing in some gear (portaloo, containers, leisure battery, gas
cylinders, etc) also gets you a better price for a "ready-to-go"
vehicle. It's false economy to sell those items separately.

riccip
Old April 8th 04, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
GTombleson

Thanks riccip

I like you suggestion-sort of shared ownership-sharing equally in Profit or
Loss of vehicle..

Might be a profit-more than likely a loss after 5 months of Europe
travelling have added 20 000 miles and some wear and tear

I will suggest it to him
Cheers
Gareth

--