Motorhome Insurance with Foreign registration

Old April 8th 04, 11:42 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
aj

Default Motorhome Insurance with Foreign registration

I have just brought a motorhome over in Germany, and thought it would
be straightforward to insure it and drive it back over. Unfortunatley
all of the UK insurers say they need a UK registration. How do I get
this without getting the vehicle back in the country, and how do I
drive it back if I dont have insurance. Help !
Old April 8th 04, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
dario osaris

aj wrote:

I have just brought a motorhome over in Germany, and thought it would
be straightforward to insure it and drive it back over. Unfortunatley
all of the UK insurers say they need a UK registration. How do I get
this without getting the vehicle back in the country, and how do I
drive it back if I dont have insurance. Help !

can you get a short time car plate at your place?
Then get an insurance, take the plates along to DE, attach
it to the M/H and go.

Or other way around:
you can get a short time car plate (for transfer reasons) in DE
(for about a week, ask your german dealer to assist) for about
10 bucks. Get the insurance in DE too. attach the plates
to the M/H and go.

Dario

Old April 8th 04, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Dave Hardy

"Dario Osaris" wrote in message
aj wrote:

I have just brought a motorhome over in Germany, and thought it would
be straightforward to insure it and drive it back over. Unfortunatley
all of the UK insurers say they need a UK registration. How do I get
this without getting the vehicle back in the country, and how do I
drive it back if I dont have insurance. Help !

can you get a short time car plate at your place?
Then get an insurance, take the plates along to DE, attach
it to the M/H and go.

Or other way around:
you can get a short time car plate (for transfer reasons) in DE
(for about a week, ask your german dealer to assist) for about
10 bucks. Get the insurance in DE too. attach the plates
to the M/H and go.

Dario

Lesson for anyone buying abroad. Do **all** the research first! :)

Its complex, but its all here......
http://www.motorcaravanning.co.uk/ve...ting_facts.htm

Old April 26th 04, 08:19 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
TP

"Blaze" wrote:

You can buy 14 day "European" insurance in Germany, you get temp plates and
off you go

Isn't this a 'minimal' policy, with only third party cover? I believe
that, if you damage or write off your own vehicle, you are not covered
for repairs or total loss.