taking your van to USA ....anyone done it....????

Old April 22nd 04, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
bluebird

Default taking your van to USA ....anyone done it....????

Want to take van to USA for 4-5 months. Anyone know the cost? I heard
it was cheaper than hiring. What about insurance ... is this a
problem?
Old April 23rd 04, 09:13 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
riccip[_9_]

Tone wrote:

Several years ago, a good friend wanted to do the same thing. He ended
up flying to New York and buying a van. They drove it around for 6
months ending up in San Francisco where they sold it for what they had
paid for it !

Worth considering as Renting is damned expensive

That's a great idea. I read in a motorhome mag that some used RV
dealers operate a guaranteed "buy-back" scheme that's cheaper
than renting.

riccip
Old April 23rd 04, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
dario osaris

bluebird wrote:

Want to take van to USA for 4-5 months. Anyone know the cost? I heard
it was cheaper than hiring.

break even point for hiring vs shipping is at about 2 ... 3 months,
depending on Equipment you´d bring along or hire over there.
Below hiring is less expensive.
Price for shipping depends on volume , not weight.

What about insurance ... is this a problem?

at least in USA if you´re non-resident.
Better to ask an insurance company here

Dario