What consitutes a motorcaravan

Old April 30th 04, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Geoff Lane

Default What consitutes a motorcaravan

I have a Citroen Dispatch that I want to use as a towcar for my trailer
caravan and also to use as a day van. I intend replacing the seats with
lay-flat versions and building add-ons to covert the seats to a double-bed.
I also intend putting windows in the side loading doors.

What else do I need to do to have the vehicle officially recognised as a
motorcaravan for insurance and speed limit purposes?

TIA,

--
Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK
Old April 30th 04, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Eric Boyce

bed sink cooker table

check out http://www.sbmcc.co.uk

eric

Old April 30th 04, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Geoff Lane

"Eric Boyce" wrote in news:c6u5ts$sr2$1
@titan.btinternet.com:

bed sink cooker table

check out http://www.sbmcc.co.uk

Thanks.

I did check out the Self-Build Club site. However, all I could find was
Shield Insurance's criteria, which may be specific only to that company
and not part of the legal definition I was after. Shield say:

Criteria is as follows:

1)You can insure a van as a motor caravan as long as you complete
the project within 90 days, This may sound harsh but it is due
to the small minority that insure a commercial vehicle as a
motorcaravan just because it is cheaper than the normal commercial
insurance,

2)Must have at least 1 double bed

3)Must have a fixed water container. Fixed, being permanently
installed or strapped in position securely.

4)Must have a dining area. Somewhere to sit and eat at a table

5)Must have at least a wardrobe or cupboard space

6)Must have windows either side of the van.

7)Must have at least 4 photos of inside and out.

Of course, there may be a lot more info in the members area, but I don't
want to join until I know that my project is feasible.

Thanks again,

--
Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK
Old May 1st 04, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
CampinGazz

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
[...]

There's no need to join to read or post on the main forum, you just need to
sign up to register your user name so you can post.. like all forums.

the shield insurance criteria is the same that almost all insurance
companies ask for to classify a van as a motorhome, it's also practicaly the
same criteria that the dvla ask for to class the van as a motorhome, but 90%
of people don't need to get their van inspected by them to get the log book
changed.

The number 1 quote from the shield criteria does happen tho, which seems a
bit silly, as if you insure the van as a motorhome, and it dosent meet the
criteria, then your insurance is invalid, so why pay for something your not
getting, better to save the money for the court case if you hit someone or
get caught.

But it is fairly easy to meet the criteria for a motorhome if you only want
a very basic conversion,

Bed your already doing,

Windows your also doing,

Running water, that's easy enough, small sink in the corner with a jerry can
underneath it, and a submersable pump leading to a tap, heck that's all some
factory conversion have

Dining area, simple enough, your bed is made from the seats, so put in an
island leg table socket infront of a row of seats, and get a small table
that stores under the seats say,

Wardrobe/cupboard space, that is basicaly clothes storage, you could build a
box under the seat base, with a hinge down door, and it's your cupboard
space,

I would personaly put in a small unit along one side if possible like the
old VW conversions had, with a sink and cooker in the top, and below
cupboard space and the jerry can storage.. use another jerry can for the
waste water from the sink,
Then you just need the table and your sorted.