first motorhome

Old May 2nd 04, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Barry Hampson

Default first motorhome

reached that certain age and I want a motorhome.Looking to spend around
10,000 to 12000 on one. Looking at a c class apparently.As its gonna be my
first time and theres such a diversity out there. what should I be looking
for in my choice.I will be buying diesel around 2-2.5 litre.Any advice on
milage of engine and what accesories or layouts are a must will be gladly
received.

many thanks

bazza

Old May 2nd 04, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Mike Marriott

Barry, we bought and sold two motorhomes before we got the third, the one we
have now, and each time we thought we had a layout that we liked. We also
listened to others.

The advice given was not bad advice, but it was the opinion of others. You
must go and take a look. Get inside them and think it through.

Go to a large dealer where there are many vans to compare. Brownhills is
one. No, I do not work for them, but they are the largest in the UK and
have a wide range. I am not saying buy from them, I am saying use them to
get the feel and look at a range.

Also, don't forget the old adage, "You get what you pay for"!!! 12000 is
not a lot in today's market. We spent about that on our first van. We
spent 30000 on the third!!. That was three years later! If we had decided
to spend more on the first van I think we would have saved a lot of money.

Motorhomes are a very personal thing. NOBODY can truly advise you. Get the
best quality you can afford.

Good luck and enjoy yourself looking. But above all, TAKE YOUR TIME.

--
Mike & Carol.
Email:

news:[email protected]

Old May 2nd 04, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
HH

"Barry Hampson" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
reached that certain age and I want a motorhome.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I can't think of a worse reason for wanting a camper van!

And wtf does "that certain age" mean anyway?

We had our first "camper" when we were 25 - a Carawagon based on a Ser 111
Landie because we wanted to go to N Africa in it, and that was followed by a
VW Westfalia with a rising roof, and 32 years on after all sorts, we have a
MURVI - far removed from the Carawagon in some ways, but in the same
category in others: totally functional, extremely well-constructed and quite
anonymous, anything but a Gin Palace on wheels - but that's OUR choice, and
Tone is absolutely right when he says what works for him may not work for
anyone else!

Maybe Barry thinks "motorhomes" are a kind of status symbol people aspire
to - and if that's the case he's gonna be very disappointed with the people
here I guess!

Malcolm

Old May 2nd 04, 09:07 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
David[_8_]

Some excellent comments above. I have sold over 800 campers since 1994 from
Fiat Amigos to new B694 25ft Hymers and the times people came on and said
"my mates got a so and so" so what I used to say what he is happy with could
be very different to what you would be happy with. Draw up a list, where are
you going to go for how long your going for do you want to drive it daily
ETC where are you going to park it RHD or LHD. You will have to try and
answer questions you probably can't yet answer.

Getting it right first time is rare but not impossible. I have bought and
sold just about every model Hymer made and if I had to pick one today it
would give me a major headache deciding (i have an S670). Try going to a
camper show or like one of the others said a big main dealer but keep an
open mind from the start. One good thing at the shows is that you can walk
round the large carparks talking to owners from 500 home made jobs to 100k
Americans all of them with stories to tell about how they finished up with
what they got. And the guy with the 500 homemade will be just as happy and
proud of his camper as the guy in his 36ft slideout.

Its a mine field but do your homework and you will be OK.

Good luck,
David.

Old May 3rd 04, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Barleycorn

I'd agree with everyone else that this question is a bit like 'how long is a
piece of string', as it depends on your personal circumstances and
recreational plans etc.

To put my metric half dozen eggs in, now that the kids are going their own
ways we have downsized from a 24' conversion, with all mod cons in it, to an
Autosleeper pop up roof, based on the VW T4. We very much enjoy our little
'tin tent'. The ability to drive into town centres, and use most car parks
is a real plus, rather than parking up and using public transport. It is
very comfortable, and brilliantly designed. Being small you can easily wild
camp without getting too much hassle, pub car parks are favourite!! The
only downside is that we lack a toilet compartment, I don't miss the shower
as we never used it. We have a drive away awning, and can stick the porta
potty out there.
We bought the VW because it is so narrow, as my partner doesn't want to
drive a wide vehicle for everyday use.
I think that the Autosleeper is a first class conversion, so on your budget
personally I would look out for an Autosleeper Transit conversion, which is
not that big, but does have the cassette loo. IMHO the Transit is a lot
better van than the VW, and would be a lot cheaper to run, as long as you
and your misses can keep away from walls and gateposts!
Autosleeper also converted the Renault van, and they are relatively cheap,
although personally I would not want to own anything built by Renault.

Just my two penneth!

Barleycorn.

Old May 3rd 04, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
g.caffrey5

Wow, what an overly offended answer. Different people buy them for diffrent
reasons. Isn't it funny what people get upset about. You'd think he said you
had to be an old fart to own one.

And i love the use of capitals in most of the answers to stamp that air of
authority. Along with the unnecessary history.

Well done, you've just reminded me of why i stopped asking for advice in
here.

Gary

"HH" wrote in message

news:St4lc.21$XP4[email protected]

Old May 4th 04, 09:04 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
riccip

"HH" wrote:

And wtf does "that certain age" mean anyway?

To be fair motorcaravanning is not generally considered a young
person's passtime in the eyes of Joe Public. There are two
popular images most folk would associate with motorcaravaning.
There's the retired geriatrics brewing a cuppa in the disabled
parking bay of some jaded British seaside resort or the
ex-hippies festering in the filth of a rusting VW Kombi.

We had our first "camper" when we were 25 - a Carawagon based on a Ser 111
Landie because we wanted to go to N Africa in it, and that was followed by a
VW Westfalia with a rising roof, and 32 years on after all sorts, we have a
MURVI - far removed from the Carawagon in some ways, but in the same
category in others: totally functional, extremely well-constructed and quite
anonymous, anything but a Gin Palace on wheels

Pretty much the same here. We started in our early-20's and the
vans grew in size along with the family. Today it's back to "me
an' her" so we need a fast, smaller van to get us quickly to
far-off European destinations for two-week touring breaks. We no
longer use campsites so the vehicle must be entirely
self-sufficient. Later, in semi-retirement, we plan to get away
for long periods at which time our needs will probably change
again.

I like your point about anonymous vans. IMHO a discreet panel van
conversion is less likely to be moved on or broken into than
anything "flashy". From our viewpoint it's better to go unnoticed
and be able to park up anywhere because we want to tour towns &
countries, not campsites. One of our regular German stopovers is
right next to the local nick.

Maybe Barry thinks "motorhomes" are a kind of status symbol people aspire
to - and if that's the case he's gonna be very disappointed with the people
here I guess!

LOL..!! Just my opinion but I always feel very sorry for the
motorcaravan "posers". Many seem to be missing out on the best
this hobby has to offer. However to each his own.

riccip
Old May 4th 04, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
riccip

"g.caffrey5" wrote:

Wow, what an overly offended answer. Different people buy them for diffrent
reasons. Isn't it funny what people get upset about. You'd think he said you
had to be an old fart to own one.

It was extremely mild compared to the aggression some ppl show
around here, or even worse in "uk.rec.caravanning". I can't
believe they're as confrontational and sarcastic in real life but
I guess it's easy to be tough from behind the security of a
computer monitor. If we were all to meet up in a big room you'd
find the loudest, rudest online contributors sitting quietly in a
corner trying to avoid eye contact.

Well done, you've just reminded me of why i stopped asking for advice in
here.

This is Usenet where it appears politeness is unnecessary. You're
better off ignoring anything you find personally offensive then
just post and be damned, otherwise groups like this will be a
thing of the past in a few years time. It's a shame newbies so
often get roasted for asking a simple question. Maybe some
posters need to get away in their vans more often.

riccip
Old May 4th 04, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
riccip

"Barry Hampson" wrote:

reached that certain age and I want a motorhome.Looking to spend around
10,000 to 12000 on one. Looking at a c class apparently.As its gonna be my
first time and theres such a diversity out there. what should I be looking
for in my choice.I will be buying diesel around 2-2.5 litre.Any advice on
milage of engine and what accesories or layouts are a must will be gladly
received.

I've always advised potential new motorcaravanners they should
borrow or hire a van first to make sure they actually like it
before parting with their hard earned readies. It's a big
investment to have sitting on your drive so you must make sure it
won't be an expensive mistake.

Motorcaravanning certainly isn't for everyone. It's a kind of
madness from which some recover while others remain permanently
afflicted. Sensible folk take advantage of cheap flights to the
med and jump on a luxury coach when they feel the need to wander
outside the resort. If their holiday accommodation was anywhere
near as cramped and basic as the average motorcaravan they would
complaining bitterly.

Motorcaravanners are basically irrational people who gain a
peculiar satisfaction from doing it in the back of a van, alone
and unmolested on the move. Personal hygiene is either a shower
designed for stick insects or a flannel. We live in a world of
toilet chemicals, gas bottles and mozzie repellents. Some of us
see beauty in a municipal car park coz it saves a few quid.
Others would be lost without a 240v hook-up, satellite TV and the
security of another motorhome or caravan the regulatory 6m away
on either side.

If you feel ready to commit then why not buy a cheaper van to
begin with? You will find plenty of low-mileage coachbuilts
available at less than half your budget then you can trade up
next year if you decide it's the life for you. OTOH if you find
it's all a little too rustic and your arse won't fit comfortably
on a portapotti then you can weight it in for around what you've
paid.

Finally if you're married you must make absolutely sure your wife
is sold on the idea. Unless you are both prepared to throw
caution to the wind and join the crazy few then anticipate an
unbearably large extra portion of nagging - especially when it
rains!

riccip
Old May 4th 04, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
HH

"riccip" wrote in message
"HH" wrote:

And wtf does "that certain age" mean anyway?

To be fair motorcaravanning is not generally considered a young
person's passtime in the eyes of Joe Public. There are two
popular images most folk would associate with motorcaravaning.
There's the retired geriatrics brewing a cuppa in the disabled
parking bay of some jaded British seaside resort or the
ex-hippies festering in the filth of a rusting VW Kombi.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~

Which is exactly why I reacted as I did . . as long as the idea of
camper vans "at a certain age"goes unchallenged, the ill-informed Joe Public
will continue to get it wrong!

All over Europe, including GB, and all over N America and Australia & NZ
there are thousands of young men & women driving/using second-hand, often
quite elderly camper vans - sometimes an end in themselves[some near their
natural end too!] and sometimes just an aid to pursue another hobby
economically and in freedom . . eventually some of those guys will
"mature" and buy newer or new camper vans and some will inevitably turn into
those who wish to impress with a Gin Palace or become boring old farts who
chug along in their oversized coachbuilts they can't hope to park in most
towns and cities in GB! But that is the spread of "normality" . . and
to categorise the use of a camper van or the dreaded "motor home" as
belonging to "that certain age" is quite wrong.

Some us, of course, will prefer a discreet and rapid panel van conversion -
because it suits our needs and our way of life and the fact that we have no
need to do the alpha male thing and hope to impress with size alone! Mine
may not the biggest on the Caravan Club site, but it is a more efficient
tool than many . . . and because of its size, gets used more often for
more things!(^_^)

Malcolm