Newbie Question: Emptying Waste Tank On-Site

Old May 13th 04, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
SandS

Default Newbie Question: Emptying Waste Tank On-Site

Hi. I have an inboard waste water tank (15g) with a tap
underneath but no hose and was wondering how one empties this on
site?. The waste water disposal point at the last site I visited
in the new forest was off the ground and designed for caravan's
removable waste tanks I assume. There was no way I could get the
van near it. . I didn't want to empty the tank on the ground so
carried it home instead (quite a weight). Am I supposed to get a
hose to attach to the waste tap or do sites normally have a drain
for motorcaravans ?

Thank you,
Steve

Old May 13th 04, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Motorhome Club

Park it over a grid and let it go

Old May 13th 04, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy Clarke

On Thu, 13 May 2004 18:39:23 +0100, SandS wrote:

Hi. I have an inboard waste water tank (15g) with a tap
underneath but no hose and was wondering how one empties this on
site?. The waste water disposal point at the last site I visited
in the new forest was off the ground and designed for caravan's
removable waste tanks I assume. There was no way I could get the
van near it. . I didn't want to empty the tank on the ground so
carried it home instead (quite a weight). Am I supposed to get a
hose to attach to the waste tap or do sites normally have a drain
for motorcaravans ?

Some sites will be able to direct you to a ground level drain that you
can use if they don't have a dedicated motorhome service point.

Failing that I use a flexible pipe attached to the drain valve. As a last
resort it's a bucket job....

You should not empty waste water down surface water drains unless
directed to do so by the site owner, as it may pollute local
watercourses.

--
Andy Clarke

www.UKMotorhomes.net - The UK Motorhome Website - articles, information, free classifieds, etc
Old May 13th 04, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
HH

"Motorhome Club" wrote in
message s.com...
Park it over a grid and let it go!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~#

Nooooooooooooooo!

NOT any grid please: many "grids" are for surface water and deliver their
contents direct to streams, rivers etc.

The grid you use should be for "foul water" . . so that the water you
are voiding, which will have detergents and other chemicals possibly in it
will pass either into a suitable holding tank or septic tank or be processed
in the local sewerage works.

Most commercial sites and certainly the sites belonging to the two major
clubs have MotorVan points, most of which now are of the "drive-over" type,
tho Sod's Law always seems to dictate they will be on the "wrong side" or
awkward for 50% of the vans to use. But a little patience saves the
environement from unnecessary contamination and maybe damage.

Malcolm

Old May 14th 04, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Phil

On Thu, 13 May 2004 19:13:53 +0000 (UTC), "HH"
wrote:

Sod's Law always seems to dictate they will be on the "wrong side" or
awkward for 50% of the vans to use

When the h*** are british sites going to get their act together on
waste disposal. On several occasions I have been on sites out of
season where there have been more motorcaravans than caravans.
Motorcaraving is becoming more and more popular and we really should
have better facilities now.

Some of these have NO disposal points for 'grey' water At all or, as
you say are b***** awkward! On one CC&C sites at Poolewe (NW
Highlands), I asked where to drain off my grey water and was told by
the warden to drive out of the site and use a roadside drain!!!!!

Phil