Motorcycle Rack Help!

Old May 22nd 04, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Leon

Default Motorcycle Rack Help!

I want to carry a lightweight trailbike on the back of my camper van, a
Toyota Hiace, and I have seen a rack from a company called Dave Cooper,
which bolts onto the towbar bracket, does anyone have experence in this type
of rack ?

Yes, I know a trailer would be easier, but I used to have a caravan.........

TIA

Leon.

Old May 22nd 04, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
CampinGazz

"Leon" wrote in message
I want to carry a lightweight trailbike on the back of my camper van, a
Toyota Hiace, and I have seen a rack from a company called Dave Cooper,
which bolts onto the towbar bracket, does anyone have experence in this

type
of rack ?

Yes, I know a trailer would be easier, but I used to have a

caravan.........

No experiance,

but soon will have, can't decide what bike to get just yet, wanted another
KMX 125, but can't seem to get one for the 5-600 we have, but that was
going to go on a sideways mounted bike rack, i'd make it my self, only cost
about 20 quid in steel, i already have the sockets in place welded to the
chassis,
but we've seen the sideways mount racks used, the type we saw was the ones
that you removed a pin, and hinged it downwards, extend a ramp and load the
bike, fairly easy to use, the type i'd make up would be a lot simpeler, 2
hoops for the wheels to sit in and be strapped into place, we'd manualy lift
the bike into palce, not that hard with a crosser type bike, front wheel in
first, then lift the rear end and pivot it round and into the other hoop,
then strap it down and lower the seat bar that holds it on.

of course the easiest type of rack is the one with the small bottle jack
that you pump up to raise the rack, lower it to the floor, push the bike on,
and pump it off the ground.. cost about 600 tho,

Then we saw the baby cruiser bikes, you can get a 2002 model hyosung cruise
II 125cc bike second hand for around 500, new they are only 1300, but they
look the bizz, mini harly.. well sort of, the chrome is plastic, but it's
all looks, is a big bike tho, and only a 125 cc 4 stroke engine, means it's
slow.

but there's no way we could put that kind of bike on a sideways rack, just
too big, and at 140 kilo's, it's be more than i'd be happy having suspended
off the rear of the van, especialy as it's got wide handlebars and fuel
tanks, meaning it's have to stick out even further,

so 2 options for us if we went down that route.. make a trailer.. easy to
do, some C chanel steel, axles, braces, hitch and so on, not that much to
make, but a pain to tow, have to store it on site and so on,

So i'd rather go with the front wheel bike tow system,
where you bolt a hoop to the tow bar, and the front wheel sits in it, you
then tow the bike along on it's rear wheel, it steers round corners on it's
own steering,

i've only seen these for sale tho (again i'd make me own)not in use,
dunno if you can reverse with them, or if they are legal to use abroad, with
us fitting a sideways bike rack would take us over the 7 meter mark, so we'd
be in the next price bracket on ferries, with a bike on tow it may be
classed as a trailer, and cost even more.. plus the cruiser bikes we were
looking at are about 2 meters long, so even if they didnt say it's a
trailer, we'd get charged double for the length.

Can't win, maybe we'll see if the bike will go inside the van
or put it on the roof.. need a long ramp and have to ride it up there
kenivel style tho

Old May 25th 04, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Leon

Yeah know what you mean about towing/storing and stuff

I have not yet bought the bike, hopefully a Yamaha Serow XT225 or maybe a
Honda SL230 but got to rid of the GPz first - must be mad!!

I like the idea of being able to leave the camper where it is and go
scooting off on a bike, no parking worries etc but a bit concerned about
overhang of both wheels seeing as mine is only a "narrow" van conversion.

Anyway thanks, it nice to know I'am not alone!!!!

Leon.