Ducato Tyre Pressures

Old May 31st 04, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Mike Marriott

Default Ducato Tyre Pressures

Hello All.
I would guess that this has been talked about on this news group before, but
I have not noticed it so, at the risk of looking daft, I am going to ask
again.

I have a Swift Gazelle F61 on a Ducato 14 LWB chassis. Year = 2000.

The tyre size is 215/70R 15C.

I have looked in the owner handbook and, it says under the version 14
section on page 167, "All types 143 code option Tyre 215/70 R15 " C (109Q)
Camping Car front = 5 Rear = 5"

Now, it fails to say 5 of what but I am assuming that it means 5 Bar.

By my calculation 5 Bar is 72.51 PSI. That sounds a bit high to me.

Firstly, what the blazes is 143 code option???

Secondly, is 72.51 PSI correct???

Thirdly, if not then what is the correct pressure???

Many thanks for any help:

Mike
E-mail:

Old May 31st 04, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
SH[_3_]

Mike
What make are your tyres - I suspect that they are probably Michelin.
The safest way is to go to the Michelin site and ask on their technical
page - they are very helpful.
I did the same for my McLouis Glen. They recommended just over 60psi all
round - I actually run them at 63psi.
Makes a big difference to the original recommended figure (on the door
plate) of 75psi.
My previous motorhome was run at 80psi as per manufacturers recommendation
(Ducato) when I changed the tyres on that the tyre depot reconed that the
high pressures contributed to wall fatigue - they recommended 60 - 65psi -
same as Michelin.

Steve

Old June 1st 04, 07:12 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Mike Marriott

Hello Steve
Yes, they are Michelin.

Thanks for the tip on the site, I will give that a try.

The door plate is in Italian and makes no sense to me. The numbers on there
don't correspond to anything in the book. This was what caused my query in
the first place. I would have thought they would have used an English door
plate on a right hand drive version.

Thanks for the tip.

--
Mike
E-mail:

Old June 1st 04, 08:23 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy R

"SH" wrote in message
Mike
What make are your tyres - I suspect that they are probably Michelin.
The safest way is to go to the Michelin site and ask on their technical
page - they are very helpful.
I did the same for my McLouis Glen. They recommended just over 60psi all
round - I actually run them at 63psi.
Makes a big difference to the original recommended figure (on the door
plate) of 75psi.
My previous motorhome was run at 80psi as per manufacturers recommendation
(Ducato) when I changed the tyres on that the tyre depot reconed that

the
high pressures contributed to wall fatigue - they recommended 60 - 65psi -
same as Michelin.

Low pressures causes excessive heat build up and I'd have also thought low
pressure would cause wall fatigue, not the other way round unless you keep
whacking the kerb. Another thing to remember is that your tyre fitter is
used to seeing vans which probably spend a lot of their life at a much lower
weight than your camper. Most stuff delivery vans carry bulks out long
before the van gets to max weight where as your camper is running only a few
hundred kilos under its max weight for its entire life.

Go with the book figure.

Rgds

Andy R

Old June 1st 04, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Bob Douglas

[...]

I would echo the previous advice. (The quouted pressures will be bar, and
the conversion to PSI is about correct)

Ask Michelin the appropriate pressures for your tyres and axle weights.

The latter might involve you using a weighbridge to ascertain your real axle
weights (and this might frighten you!).

On enquiring of Michelin the recommended pressures for the maximum legal
axle weights on my previous 'van (Camping tyres) they quoted me lower
pressures than the Fiat recommendations.

I would, however, keep a copy of the reply, in order to stay on the right
side of the law if you get pulled.

Bob
--
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00

Old June 2nd 04, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Mike Marriott

Thanks Bob
I have now been in touch with Michelin as recommended by you and others.

They have replied already and state 80PSI with unknown axle weight but ask
for much more information which I am now getting together.

It seems there is a lot more to Motorhome tyre pressures than most would
realise!!!

regards

--
Mike
E-mail:

Old June 2nd 04, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
riccip

"Andy R" wrote:

Another thing to remember is that your tyre fitter is
used to seeing vans which probably spend a lot of their life at a much lower
weight than your camper. Most stuff delivery vans carry bulks out long
before the van gets to max weight where as your camper is running only a few
hundred kilos under its max weight for its entire life.

Just wondering about this Andy. A coachbuilt motorcaravan body
isn't that heavy is it? Given that the same vehicle would be
designed to take a weighty pick-up/tipper body before a load is
added.

riccip
Old June 3rd 04, 07:29 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy R

"riccip" wrote in message
"Andy R" wrote:

Another thing to remember is that your tyre fitter is
used to seeing vans which probably spend a lot of their life at a much

lower
weight than your camper. Most stuff delivery vans carry bulks out long
before the van gets to max weight where as your camper is running only a

few
hundred kilos under its max weight for its entire life.

Just wondering about this Andy. A coachbuilt motorcaravan body
isn't that heavy is it? Given that the same vehicle would be
designed to take a weighty pick-up/tipper body before a load is
added.

Take a look at the payload figures given by the manufacturers. Mine, a
Hymer 524, is built on a Fiat Ducatto, Max permissible weight is 3400kg but
the payload is only 600kg so at 2800kg empty it's nearer its max weight than
many vans ever get. Then put me, t'mrs, 2 kids, 20 gallons of water, toys,
clothes and food on board and it spends almost its entire life at very
nearly its max weight.

I'd imagine that a sheet aluminium structure on a pickup/tipper weighs far
less than a fully kitted out motorhome with its inch thick insulated walls

Rgds

Andy R

Old June 4th 04, 07:48 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Mike Marriott

I have now received an email from Michelin.

The Swift axle weights as per the Swift plate are
Front 1750Kgs
Rear 1900Kgs

This varies from the Fiat plate which is, of course, less.

For a single wheel axle (i.e one wheel on the end of each of two axles)
Front 59 psi Rear 59 psi.

I have to say that this is quite a lot less than I had thought it would be.

On checking the pressures of the vehicle I find them to be around 70 psi and
this was after service at a VERY reputable dealer.
It's worth a check.

My tyre size is 215/70 R 15C 109/107Q XC Camping.

This shows the vehicle user manual to be well out.

Thanks for the advice folks.

--
Mike
E-mail:

Old June 4th 04, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
riccip

"Andy R" wrote:

Take a look at the payload figures given by the manufacturers. Mine, a
Hymer 524, is built on a Fiat Ducatto, Max permissible weight is 3400kg but
the payload is only 600kg so at 2800kg empty it's nearer its max weight than
many vans ever get. Then put me, t'mrs, 2 kids, 20 gallons of water, toys,
clothes and food on board and it spends almost its entire life at very
nearly its max weight.

I'd imagine that a sheet aluminium structure on a pickup/tipper weighs far
less than a fully kitted out motorhome with its inch thick insulated walls

A truck body is a lot heavier than it looks (had to help remove
one once) but I do see your point. However Hymers are exceptional
build quality and would be heavier on materials than their
Italian rivals for example. How would the same equation work for
a panel van conversion I wonder?

riccip